Fishing with bluegill.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by vandellchuck, Jul 22, 2007.

1. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ive just started fishing with bluegill and i was wondering what teh best way to hook them is?

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I hook mine behind the dorsal fin, towards the tail.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I hook them in the mouth and out through the hard part of the gill plate....

Good fishin
    mike

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    in slack water depending on what rig i'm using with bobber under the dorsal toward the tail or carolina rigged above the anal fin. in current i usually hook them in the mouth.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I use the same method as John.:0a23:

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I hook them through the eyes and scrape a few scales off one side. Hooking them through the eyes won't kill them.

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The way I hook mine depend on what style hook set up I am using...However I usually hook mine through the eye's and back into the gill plate...This makes him swim like an injured fish and flashes allot more when flipping around under a boober or Jug...

If I am fishing the bottom I usually cut the tail and top dorsal fin off so as he will leave a blood trail...I then will hook in the entrail area so as to have an easier hook set in the soft meaty area...

This is just one method of many I am sure...

I have even heard of spliting the center of the back down the dorsal fin to the tail.... leaving the fillets exposed and hooking through the mouth...

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It depends on the size of the bluegill.

A smallish one to about 4" long gets scaled both sides from the tail to the pectoral fins, then the hook is run in below the dorsal toward the tail (missing the spine).

Larger ones are hooked through the cheeks or eyes.

Live baits must be handled gently. A hard cast with a big sinker will stun them and cause the bait not to move or die.

Lob the bait into the water so it strikes the water as gently as possible with an underhand cast. If the bait must go farther, use a large float or balloon with the wind or current and float it out to the desired area. If all else fails, use a boat to place the bait exactly where you want it.

Some folks do quite well using a remote control boat to place their bait where they want the bait to sit.

9. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    i also hook them under the dorsil fin tward the tail.they dont last very long in current with the water going the wrong way through their gills.Ive never hooked them through the head area cause im afraid of setting the hook back into my bait.How is you guys hookup ratio when hooking a bait ths way??

10. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    in current i also hook in the lips , under a bobber or jug under the dorsel fin

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hook 'em right behind the dorsal fin. One thing that I sort of learned last season was that when hooking them anywhere in the head or tail, you have to pay attention to which way the current is flowing. It seems to me that hooking them in a way that positions the fish in a way where the current s constantly flowing from the direction of the tail sort of drowns the bait fish?

Im not sure. I just hook em behind the dorsal regardless. Its easier for me... I hope this helps.

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have found that the flathead react to the bluegill's struggle to free himself. If the 'gill is hooked in the mouth, it will not struggle as much because it gets tired of pushing the hook, leader and sinker. Then it just lies there. When the 'gill is hooked in the dorsal, it is constantly struggling, drawing the attention of the flathead.

They do seem to perish more quickly in a heavy current, but if the bait is placed in a current break where the flathead might be expected to lounge around, the 'gill dies pretty quickly with a crushing bite.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

Hook bluegill under the last barb on the dorsel fin about a 1/2 inch deep. This should allow a good enough cast without loosing the bait. By hooking there the bait will flip side to side when reeling in and keeps the gills from getting back-flushed which kills them.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I hook em through the lips.

15. WVRiverRat

WVRiverRat New Member

State:
    WV
    Behind dorsal and inch down if the bait is big enough

16. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    About 1/2" below the dorsal fin

17. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I agree with hooking them below the spine. Also there is 1 method I don`t see on here yet. By cutting the tail where it forks, so it is in a straight line, the bait fish can only swim in circles. Works really well if you are set up over them in a boat. Fish about a foot off the bottom. It also works bank fishing.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've hook them in the middle.

19. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've always hooked them behind or below the dorsal fin but now that I read this thread the current killing them is a good point. In the river current I may go to trying to hook them in the front. I do however find that a mostly dead bluegill doesn't turn the flathead off at all they like the weak ones that is why some people cut them to make them look crippled.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hook my gills under the back end of the dorsel like wolfman said earlier. i hook them as shallow as possible though...i used to worry about the bait pulling off easy, but have found even a hard hit with a light clicker is not enough most of the time to pull the bait from the hook. the reason i hook the bait more shallow is, it seemed that when i hooked the bait deeper, not only did it not last as long, my hooking back into the side of the bait ratio greatly increased. resulting in losing more fish.. you have to watch hooking them towards the front and middle dorsel as this happens as well...esp. with larger gills...so hook towards the back of the dorsel, and as shallow as possible. using big j-style, circles, etc. :big_smile: rollo