Fishing with a bow

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by carbon arrow, Feb 18, 2007.

1. carbon arrow

carbon arrow New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Anybody else take their bow with them sometimes?
    Here in Arkansas we are able to shoot two catfish a day when bowfishing.
    It's a blast.:after_boom:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First off, I don't bow hunt. Just wondering how you would get a shot on a catfish. I've never sen one where I could shoot it. I know it can be done, just currious how.

3. carbon arrow

carbon arrow New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Most opportunities are at night.

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    mine is usually with me, but we cant shoot any game fish here in Missouri with them so we have to stick mainly to carp and other "nuisance" fish.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Most people use a bow for carp and gar fishing.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    welcome to the boc ,I dont bowhunt either but that sounds interesting

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It'd be a little hard to catch and release when you use a bow and arrow...

8. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Well, it's obvious he doesn't catch and release what he shoots, and that's ok! I don't bow fish either, but it is something that I'm interested in. But we can only shoot ruff fish here in Indiana also.

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a life long bowfisher. Texas just opened it so we could shoot a catfish but I'm not sure why. In all my years of gar and carp fishing I only could have shot a catfish once or twice. I hear tell that in some of the clear lakes in central Texas they shoot some but Here in south East texas the water is way too muddy. I love to catfish and I love to bowfish both are great sports. If I was to shoot cats with my bow it would only be if I needed the meat. I do shoot gar to help clean out a some of the lakes because they get so thick that it looks like you can walk across the water on them. I give them away to folks that I know eat them.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Marty I enjoy bow fishing very much, here in Mo. it's just carp and gar and that's ok with me. If Desperado see's this post he has an awesome bowfishing boat set up and knows a lot about it. If I ever get the chance to go with him I'm on my way! You might try to P/M him for more information.

11. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    welcome to the BOC

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC marty , i have bow fished for gar and carp . catfish and spoonbill can only be taken during daylight hours here in ky . have never shot a catfish yet but the oppurtunity hasnt shown itself . bowfishing here is best when the water is high out of its banks up in the feilds . i have a bow i bought at a pawn shop for $25. it works great iv got a zebo mounted to the stabelizer and 100# braided line iv turned the bow down to 35# draw weight and shoot a fiberglass rod mounted with fishing spear tip and installed a roller rest . the longest shot iv ever took was 20' most shots are within 10' and a depth of 2' , sunny days seem to be the best when bowfishing for me since my boat doesnt have lighting mounted on it for night time use .

13. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bowfish but its for carp. You cannot shoot gamefish here in Texas. Carp on the other hand is great. I can go to the city park and hunt carp. I checked with the city and they said I can fish for anything as long as I follow the state rules and regs. I have been looked at a few times but they never stoped me.