Fishing Wingdams

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by YoMoma, Jun 11, 2008.

1. YoMoma

YoMoma New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live close to the Mississippi and want to try fishing wingdams more this year, although mother nature is telling me otherwise right now.
    My question is, where is the best location on a wingdam to fish? Close to shore? Near the middle? Or near the end? Or does water depth have more to say about postioning?
    Do you anchor above and fish below the dam, or anchor below and cast upstream but still below the dam?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Larry, here's a link to an old thread in the MO section where we discussed fishing wingdams. Pretty good info and even a drawing or two of typical boat and bait positioning for how we fish them on the MO. Same principles on the MS except deeper water. Good luck and hope you get to try it out one of these days if the river ever goes and down and you can actually SEE a wing dam again.:crazy:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60778

3. YoMoma

YoMoma New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Some good reading there Branden. I am so unexperienced at wingdam fishing that I didnt know fishing above the dam works as well as below it. The dams here are usually under water so I should investigate further going over the wingdam with my sonar a few times to get an idea of where its actually located.
    I`d still be appriciative if more could chime in with their opinion. Especially for the wingdams near the Iowa/Illinios part of the mighty Miss.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    There ain't a respectable Mississippi river wingdam thats gonna show itself for several weeks.
    Generally you can see the results of them being where they are by watching water flow.
    The wingdams are marked so watch for marker bouys.
    I've an old (1991) river map , -you can buy them at Wal Mart- that shows the approximate location of them. It would be impossible to memorize them all. For instance there are 16 wing dams from Lock and dam 17 to New Boston, thats 4 miles of river.
    Find you a few favorites and do what you need to do to feel you've fished them thoroughly.
    good luck 2 ya
    just

Welcome to the BOC.