Fishing wingdams - Whats your advice on fishing these?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Oct 6, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Whats the best way to fish wingdams?
    Anchor above or below.
    Fish the just off the end or middle?
    Whats the best bait presentation?
    Most of my river fishing has been on the Skunk.A small river that feeds the Miss below Burlington.
    When I did fish the Mississippi it was in the Huron Island area above Burlington.Pool 18.
    Didn't pay much attention to the wing dams because there was so much structure to fish.
    Now I'm thinking I was wrong.
    have a good one
    just

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know how the miss is in pool 18. On the missouri though, guy's will fish the top part of the hole and the back part of the hole. They will also fish the sand bar behind the hole. Some dykes have a cut in close to the bank. This also creates a scour hole there too. Fish like to hang out there as well. At night it's a little different. The fish seem to leave the scour hole and start hunting down food on the sand bars. Fishing above the scour hole on the sand flats is pretty productive at times. Try and fish the ones above the scour holes where fish are hanging out in the day. Also don't over look wide sand bars that just drop straight down into the channel. Fishing the channel, the slope of the sand flat and the flat at the same time.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    on any structure its best to fish the entier thing. there is usually a sweet spot on every chunk of cover or structure. the sweet spot will also change with water/weather conditions day to day too!