fishing wingdams in the Mississippi

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by iowabucks, Sep 7, 2008.

1. iowabucks

iowabucks New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey everyone, I've been fishing the Mississippi since i was a teenager. Not much the last 10 years or so. Now that i'm getting back into it i have some questions about fishing wingdams.

One of the most popular ways of catching cats with R&R on this big river here in SE Iowa is using stinkbait on the wingdams. We seem to have just as much luck whether the bait us above or below the wingdam. What do you guys prefer?

Right now it seems like most cats are running pretty small in size. A local fishing report said to fish the wingdam out by the channel for the bigger fish. Are the fish sometimes bigger out near the end of the wingdam?

We just fish with a rubber stinkbait worm, a splitshot and a heavy sliding riverweight. Any better ways to do it than that?

I don't consider myself a real good fisherman, just average. Any other tips regarding that type of fishing? Jerry.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Jerry, and welcome to the BOC. I'm from Keokuk, and I use stink bait most of the time also. I use a sliding sinker, usually a flat no-roll because of the rocks up by the Dam. I use egg sinkers every where else. I don't use a splitshot, but I do sometimes put a small float on the leader just before the worm to get it up off the the bottom. Seems to work around here. Hope this helps. Later Andy

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hi Jerry.
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Where you from and where do you usually fish?
    the best 2 ya
    just

5. iowabucks

iowabucks New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm from Muscatine, just below Lock and Dam 16. Usually fish pool 17.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jerry!