Fishing - Who taught you how??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    To fish that is.......:smile2:

Who taught you how to fish? Father, brother, grandfather, family friend? And how old were you when you have your earliest memories of fishing?

For me, my Dad taught me mostly, in combination with a dear family friend named Garland, who taught my Dad to fish. Two of the best fishermen that I have ever known. I like to think some of that rubbed off on me, but I could never bring home some of the stringers they used to! I was 4 years old the first time I remember going fishing with my Dad, back then it was just ponds, to help him and Garland catch bait, or watch the sein crawdads. My first trip to the river, and "real" fishing was at age 7, you should have seen me trying to keep up with dad walking down the edge of that wheat field to get to our spot on the river. Dad was known as a fast walker back then, and you think he was going to slow down for me? Hell no! Glad he didn't now though!:big_smile: I did not catch anything that night, but still is probably best memory of any fishing trip I have ever had, even the ones where I have caught a stringer full!

2. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My dad taught me and I've been hooked ever since. Enjoy everytime I get to go out.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my brother taught me how to fish. he used to take me to a small pond in our town. we had alot of fun. he taught me alot of things. he passed away when i was 10 yrs old. i still miss him and wished we go one more time.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    My grandfater and da taught me to love and respect the out doors and to hunt and fish.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing was a big thing for my entire family. I was taught by my grandma, dad, uncles, older cousins. Wasn't taught much by my grandad, but only because he passed away when I was fairly young.
    Most of the fishing we did was for other types of fish, though some catfishing was done.
    When I became more serious about catfishing, one of the leaders at church took me out and started teaching me.
    I have gotten much more serious about it since then, and all of my learning has come from other fishermen I meet out there and from my brothers and sisters here.

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    My dad showed me the ropes when I turned 5, he took me fishing all the time. Normally I would outfish him :smile2:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Self taught by watchin and listenin at Cooper river. No family influence for me.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My dad and uncles taught me.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I too am self taught. I believe I inherited the fishing gene from my granfather who, they tell me, was a great fisherman though I never fished with him...W

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i am pretty much self tought i kinda went with my dad when i was really little...

but the person who has proally tought me the most is my grandma,(and yes i still go fishing with her from time to time)

but i am alot of self tought though..
    well and the people here have tought me alot
    so THX yall

Jeff

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    My dad and older brother when I was real little. But from their it was all trial and era, plus seeing what was working for others.

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My dad taught me everything he knows about fishing. Once I got hooked though, I started reading In-Fisherman all the time and watching Bill Dance Outdoors and experimenting with different techniques for myself. Also when fishing, I always watch what other people are doing.

13. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I learned trout fishing from my grandpa and dad. Learned Bass fishing on my own. Got serious and learned catfishing from my Brothers here on the BOC.

Thanks again!

14. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    my Dad and older brother

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I would have to say Family taught me the love and respect for the outdoors ( Uncles mostly ). Ive hunted and fished all my life. But was started on serious catfishing by a work friends uncle. I've learned a lot over the years but have probably learned more this year about catfishing than any other thanks in large part to the great people on this site.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I pretty much am self taught although I did learn a trout/channel cat technique from my great grandpa when I was younger. The way he fished the lakes of northern AZ he would either catch trout or channels. Goofy combo but he was goofy himself. After cleaning a nice size channel cat he would nail the skull to a big pine tree outside of his house. I thought that was so cool when I was a kid. I also learned how to fish with a fly and a bubble for trout from my other grandpa.

I had caught fish and camped with my dad in 10 states by the time I was 13. I was the one who got my dad into fishing when I was a kid!:cool2:

17. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    I was taught to fish by my grandparents. They lived not to far from a river that had great access. We'd head down to the river on weekends and for a special treat, we'd grab the tents and spend the long nights hunting the fish. We'd always manage to catch enough to feed the 5 of us (my brother and sister would also be there) and we'd always have a great time, even if it rained. I still use the secret tips and tricks my grandfather taught me to this day and they still work.

18. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    from my father and 3 older brothers. my father-inlaw got me into catfishing.

19. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My dad taught me the basics, how to tie on a hook and bait it. Then pretty much turned me loose. He may have taken me fishing 5 times when I was a kid. I had the good luck to live between 2 creeks full of fish and pretty much taught myself. In his defense he was a truck driver who was gone alot, and worn out when he was home. His favorite fishing was for trout and we did go a few times when I was in my early 20's. But he got Cancer and died before we could go alot. I take my kids 1 son and 3 future stepkids fishing all the time. They usually outfish me lol. As for catfishing. The Boc boards got me into that. A friend from an online game told me about this place, when I was discussing fishing for whatever in their forums. Now Im heavily into Cats.

20. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My Granddad not only was a great catfisherman, but a great person. I miss him very much,and the only regret is not watching and learning more while he was here .