fishing water with no info on it

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 187um, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    hey brothers and u sisters 2....needin some help going to try to fish a river i have never fished.i do not have a boat,electronics, or any topagraphics for this river. name would help its called big muddy river found in southern illinois. so heres my question-----when bank fishing a river or lake never been to what are some of the things you would look for as far as picking a spot? i scouted the river not long ago still had ice on it 4-5 places didnt have ice is that where deep water is?? and i dont know how to find the channel with in the river so if anyone can help me i will be eternally grateful!!! the river it self is probly 75-100 feet across could be more, not sure of the depth clarity is like a light greenish color. so please help:confused2:

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    go for the outside bends of any turn in the river.
    look for place there's wash out's and riprap on the bank.
    creek area they join with the channels.
    and barge area's if you got any there.
    i fish from a boat. so i don't bank fishing much
    hope this help's

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx man..question--where small creeks meet the river are those the places you mean? i saw a bend and had a creek connecting to it though weak it was flowing. the river aint all that big

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    look for structure like down trees in the water,feeder creeks,swirling water that kind of thing.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    It joins the Mississippi River south of Murphysboro, Illinois. The Big Muddy has been dammed near Benton, Illinois, forming Rend Lake

6. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    do you know where about near benton? i have google mapped it and i cant seem to find the dam the satlite zoom wont go far enough to show me. if anyone knows feel free to let me know