Fishing Water Discharge

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CaTFiSH1346, Aug 30, 2005.

1. CaTFiSH1346

CaTFiSH1346 New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I fish along a rocky shoreline that has a warm water discharge going into the river. My question is, would it be good to fish this area when the water gets cold? I think it would be good using cutbait or live bait here when the water gets cool because i would think the fish would congregrate around this area. What kind of cats like these spots? Flatheads, and channels is what is mostly in this area.

2. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i would think so. I know that that tactic works well in saltwater. good luck

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sure it will. we fished powerton coal plant discharge in febuary with snow on the ground and caught cats. there was a 51# flathead caught one day we were there. we only caught some small channels but seen several blues caught by others. we used cut shad and got results. there is one in clinton as well a nuc plant. i fish there alot. this spring mar to may they were stacked. we caught a bunch of 3 to 13 # fish everytime we went. we tied off to the no access cable and threw as far up the dike as possible. they were preparing for spawn up in there. lots of fish. give it a shot. should be able to catch them where ya are at.

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I always get baitfish at the warm water discharges in the winter time. So if the old rule is applicable"the cats wont be too far from the baitfish", then it would seem prime. Always worth a try. Shame on me, i never bothered to find out. I'd just get my bait from there and go. But my uncle would catch huge prespawn crappie at the wwd's during ice fishing season.

5. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    this is avery good spot in the lakes i fish

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know that I have read and heard about how great warm water discharges are in the winter. Diffently should be good! Give it a shot!

good luck! :)

7. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    There is a big one on lake lavon Tx, and the bass spawn at the discharge twice, if not three times a year. The water is always warm there, and the fish stay close to it.