Fishing walleye on shore?

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, May 1, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    I hear that shore fishing is not good for wallaye is this true if not are there any techniques to catching them from shore i fished once for some pike, walleye, and bass in lake ronkonkoma near me (LI). Didnt catch ne thing but hada hell of a time with the remnants of hurricane katrina lol... Good day of fishing bad day of catching= still a sweet day lol. Any tips at all would be a ppreciated
    Joe

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Joe, bank fishing for walleye is the only way that I know how to catch them. We fish at the dams on the Ohio River for them in December through March. I have done best though fishing riffles on rivers that run into walleye stocked lakes. We use white twister tail grubs between 1/4 and 1/2 ounce. When fishing the tailwaters at a dam you can tip them with a minnow and get a better bite. When we fish the riffles, we will get just above the riffle and cast the width of the river or as far as we can throw. Then hold your rod tip up high and let the jig drag bottom across the top of the riffle. If it feels like it is hanging just give a quick jerk and it should free up. I have caught some good walleye with this method. Also the hole below the riffle will produce well at times as will root wads and other places along the bank. Vern

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Where in new york do you live, I used to live in the watertown area, if your near there try the black river in carthage at the dam, there are very nice walleyes caught there. We used to use floating jig heads with a minnow on a carolina rig and did very well. Leeches work really good also.

4. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    Im near mid long island but im always lookin for a nice fishin trip lol! Thanks for the advise guys!
    Joe

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Hey Joe. I sometimes make a trip to lake erie in the fall (end of october, beginning of november) all the walleyes make runs of the banks (especially of places like kelly's island, the bass islands, put-in-bay, etc) they will be right up on rocks in 2-3 feet of water. All we do is walk the bank and throw rattle traps or other crankbaits at them (at night top waters like rapala husky jerks do real well). this is some of the best fishing i have ever had at erie, including guided trips and trips in our own boat.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    shore fishing in rivers can produce walleys.
    shore fishing in lakes probably won't.
    Walleys will hang alot deeper in lakes than in rivers.
    Good luck
    Larry

7. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have never actually been fishing for walleye. Me and my buddy accidently caught a couple out of some of the pits down south of my house, we were bouncing jigs off the bottom. Kind of scared me when I first saw what I was pulling in because I thought it was a bass or cat. I would realy like some info about fishing for them though. Who knows if I try to fish for them I may have a new fish to fish for. Any basic tips such as bait and technique would realy help.

THANKS!!

8. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    How do the walleye like spoon packs at like walmart work ne good? No brand or ne thing but any tackle or lures or whatnot would be nice to know what to pick up for the next trip to lake ronkonkoma...
    Joe

9. frisco66

frisco66 New Member

State:
    NE
    what about walleyes in lakes before/after spawn?I've caught some pretty shallow after spawn on a splitshot and minnow.Nothing to brag about,20-27",but godd eatin' just the same.

10. Mr. Whiskers

Mr. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    It's getting pretty close to the time where you can wade creek mouths in Erie for monster walleye at night. I hear 1-2 fish is a good night, but you're catch avges 6-9 pounds with 11-12 pounders common. It's kind of a crap shoot since the conditions have to be just right to fish it from shore.

Every year I say I'm going, and every year the prime time comes and goes and I never get out. We'll see this year.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Bank fishing is the best way to fish for walleye this time of year, at least around here anyway. Our walleye at the local lake will go shallow up into the rocks, and hang out in that area during the day and come up very shallow late in the evening. I usually fish an orange or bubble gum colored roadrunner head, with a 3" or 4" white curly tailed grub. The key is to fish the jig very slowly, just fast enough to keep the little spinner moving. On our lake, if you're not hanging up quite often, then you don't have your bait where the fish are. I'll also use a colored jighead tipped with only a minnow through the lips at this time. I fish this setup just like a rubber worm, lifting the rod and jigging it a few times, then letting it settle back down to the bottom. I usually only fish the jig and minnow combo when the fish are really finicky. We catch lots and lots of small males this time of year, but the big females are in there as well they just aren't as numerous. We will catch some really large females close to the bank this time of year, in 1995, I caught the Oklahoma state record and she was 12lbs 10 oz. I held the record for 9 years before some yahoo caught a fish a few ounces bigger while fishing with stinkbait for cats. :embarassed:

I try to focus on southern or western facing rocky shorelines with very long points. These southern or western facing shorelines will warm up faster than the rest of the lake, because they're exposed to sunlight longer and more directly during the day than other spots on our lake.

Hope this helps.

Jerrod

12. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I personally always catch walleye from shore and i have the best luck along the rocky shores mentioned before with 1/4 ounce jigs with a mr twister. If the water is warmer i usually find the bottom and drag the jig with some long pulls or jerks. If the fish are more active i jig it as usual. Hope this helps.
    Good Fishing

13. kingcat23

kingcat23 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I catch a bunch of walleyes from shore. I usually use a lindy rig with a leach and cast Rapalas and Mr.Twisters

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    They were hitting swimbaits pretty agressively today in the weeds close to shore at the lake. I brought one home today to try. Ive cought them on twisty tail grubs, in line spinners, swimbaits, and live baits.

15. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Lately the eyes have been hitting just the weird colored curlytails. I use the Spike-it walleye series. Some of the grubs have holographic tints and other are rainbow colored. The last eye I caught was on a tie dyed orange and white spike it. For twister tails the spike it series has been working the best lately