Fishing vacant houses

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Sep 2, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    on some man made lakes you can find underwater houses .i was thinking they must harbor some huge cats.any one ever try

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Have never ran across this ,sorry that I can't ya brother

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think you'll find that whole houses arent typically flooded mainly because of pollution reasons and floating debris.
    All of the "houses" I am aware of in NC impoundments are actually house foundations or partial block walls. They were either burned down or bulldozed.

4. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I think they do. Have you ever watched the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet when they take old ship out to sea, blow them up and let them sink. The Biologists watch it over several years and they say the sunken ship holds many different chains of fish, from bait fish to maneaters. So I'm thinking that a sunken house might hold the same type of underwater environment. The only thing I would wonder was how long the wood of the house would hold up before rotting or drifting away.

When I lived in Texas there were a couple of lakes or resevoirs that I lived by that were all man-made lakes. Before they could finish the lakes a lot of thunderstorms came in and flooded the areas. Since it flooded everything they left gas stations and bulldozers and all sorts of vehicles there. Now that was a long, long time ago and all the environmental factors have never been an issue. I would think that these monster bulldozers would hold the same type of underwater environment as one of the sunken ships and last a lot longer than a wooden house. What do you think???

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Of course, any underwater structure will hold fish!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nick, lets just say the Corps of Engineers doesnt build lakes that way.
    Maybe way back in the day such things happened like flooding entire towns and such but its kind of hard to secure a house to the bottom of a lake like they do "fish reefs" in the lake.
    Too much in the house is a contaminate from the shingles to the insulation to the floor covering.
    Its far cheaper to destroy it then make it suitable for submersion.

Ships that are sunk for fish reefs spend months being stripped.
    There aint much more there then a steel hull.
    There is value in stripping a ship from the salvage. Copper is up to 3 dollars a pound and more in some places.
    Steel is up and much of the things from the light fixtures to the gensets to the engines can be sold.

7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    there are old farm houses in the foster joseph sayers dam in Howard, Pa. they are some of the best places to fish,, if you know where they are even better.. you can go to your courthouse and get a map of where the houses are. its good have

8. Schifty

Schifty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like they would hold some monsters to me.

9. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I love flooded cover. If the houses are removed and the foundations left, there might be a basement! Also, the bridges and culverts make great habitat. There are several pieces of cover you can find in flooded townsites.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a submerged barn in one lake I know of. You could see the roof when the lake was down. I dont know if its still there should have rotted by now. I wouldnt think they would submerge a house though. However any type of submerged cover is a fish attractant. (fish of all sizes)

11. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There used to be a bunch of houses where Glen O' Jones lakes was but they were all demolished before the lake was put in. I don't know of any sunken houses.