Fishing Upper Allegheny

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by ROCKS N ROOTS, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ROCKS N ROOTS

ROCKS N ROOTS New Member

State:
    LEVITTOWN, PA
    HI ALL,

I havent posted for a LONG while here. This type fishing and its die-hards are never far from my heart though. I would much rather go fish some C & F's than go catch bluefish. Anyways

I have a camp up in Tionesta and this weekend we are going up to do the upper river stretch in kayaks for 3 days. I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on what works in this stretch. We are fishing as we go for Walls, bass n cats.

Of course being in the craft we will be in and always moving presents having to concentrate on both fiching and navigation. Has anyone here been successful in (lol) trolling for cats?

I have another specific question, one night we plan to camp on Courson's Island, just N of Tidioute Bridge. Several Years ago, I caught a monster, that I only saw the shape of as he broke the line as i was trying to pull him out . I caught whatever it was in a frog.

This was on the east side of the island in that narrow fast deep (6'-8' ?) water. Someone told me it musta been a muskie however this fish sucked the bait in where it was and came back up the wash seeming ready to get the next morsel that came through, the line went dead slack- the fish never bolted until he was almost at my legs, a foot in the water.

The cat that like the swift moving current n live bait is the flatty, right?? The head on this thing was massive.

I am going back this weekend however Id like to see if I can get some advice on how to approach sticking this or whatever monster lurks in this channel.

thanks

2. jetboy

jetboy New Member

State:
    Pa
    Hey rocks n roots,
    I have a camp 6 miles north of tidioute on the river. Was up two weeks ago and heading up on the 20th. If your casting for bass, I'd throw a husky jerk. As for trolling for cats, we have caught two channels trolling for walleyes, We've never caught a flathead while trolling. Good luck with your mystery fish.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Rocks N Roots - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: Be careful out on the Allegheny in those Kayaks this weekend! The Allegheny has been running very high for the last week. Kinzua has been dumping a ton of water to get down to winter pool level. I just checked the link and they finally backed off the discharge yesterday but the river may still be up this weekend. Good luck on your trip!

4. ROCKS N ROOTS

ROCKS N ROOTS New Member

State:
    LEVITTOWN, PA
    THANKS FOR THAT

Are the islands ok, I mean they arent under right now are they?

thanks

5. jetboy

jetboy New Member

State:
    Pa
    As of right now, they are going to have the outflow at about 4360 cfs, like Pennsylvaniacatchaser said, you better be careful on those kayaks. The islands will be fine but it is going to be chilly up there, so pack some heavy clothes and a good sleeping bag. Remember if you get wet, nothing dries out on the islands, it just seems to stay damp. If you can swing it, live minnows will be the key in the pools.

http://wmw.lrp.usace.army.mil/current/forecast.html