Fishing Twelvepole Creek (with a BIG surpise...)

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by Concept, May 1, 2009.

1. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    We have this spot we like down on Twelvepole Creek, tributary to the Ohio River. We set up a few catfish lines and I caught a few pound channel and I decided to stretch my legs and walk a little. I walk down the creek a little and spot a smallmouth bass which I'm assuming was hovering over her eggs. I shine the flashlight down on her and she bolts away. I decide that I'm just gonna try my luck and I dropped a nightcrawler rig down right over her nest and leave it there just to test my luck. I step back a few feet and next thing I know, I see that pole start sliding off and into the water, so I dive HEAD FIRST as the pole is gliding through the water and barely grab it, set the hook, and start pulling. I lift the the bass up a little and my pole BREAKS in half along with the line, dropping the fish back down into the shallow water on the bank. I wasn't about to let her go, so I dive chest first in the dirt and rock again and grab that fish by the mouth and pull her in...

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't weigh/measure her but she had to be over 5 lbs I'd say. I let her go and she went right back to her nest. I quit bothering her and let her be.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    nice fish! What kind of fishing rod were you using?

3. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    Not sure on the specifics but it's a Berkley rod about 5" 7'. It is one of my older rods though, so I can't blame it for snapping.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Awesome catch good job.

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice smallmouth! Thanks for sharing!

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Damn nice fish!

Guy at our Charleston store says a customer came in the other day with pics of a 6 LB largemouth caught out of the Mud R up by the lake somewhere.

I have been at this for many a year and I am just amazed at how the fishing 'round here has improved over the last 30 years.
    It's like night and day. These are the good ol days!! :big_smile:

7. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    I'm just thrilled that I can drive 4 minutes from my house to a creek, and catch monsters like this! I really wish I had measuring tools with me at the time, no scale or tape measure. I wasn't about to let her die though, so I sent her back with no proper weight or length. She was heavy though.

8. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice fish. Good to see another Huntington guy on here.

9. Cw606

Cw606 New Member

State:
    Kentucky Ashland
    Nice fish man