Fishing Turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Dmcsa1201, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    I never actually fished for turtles but when im fishing for everything else in the local rivers every once in a while i catch a turtle. I Have caught 2 this year and they were both off of a minnoe. One was a 12in Red eared snapper, i believe it was. When i was bobber fishing. The second one this year was a 8in soft shell turtle. Pretty cool. I caught him on the bottom with a minnoe.
    What about you fellow fisherman. Any luck or odd ball catches.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I cant remember who it was, but a turtle trap was posted in the BOC Library. At one time we had a few members that were turtle masters :wink:

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have caught snappers on everything from from baits to topwater lures and crankbaits. nothing like trying to get a bunch of trebles out of the buisness end of a snapper.

4. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Never use trebles.Except for the ones on a lure. always caught them on just a plain old eagle claw snelled hook.

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've caught at least 12 this past year never really tried to catch them one thing for sure they love to steal bait the lake i fish in has a ton of turtles in it

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Yep, I did have a odd ball catch back in June. I was trying to catch blue gills for
    bait but I could'nt hook them because they were so small.So
    I put an extremely small hook
    on my line with a tiny piece of shrimp on it. I threw it about
    six feet from shore and within
    about ten seconds it went under. When I pulled I could'nt
    believe how much weight I felt.
    I had hooked a snapper that weighed 22lbs. I could'nt beleive it took that tiny hook.
    It kept me laughing for a good
    5 mins.He made for a great dinner that day.

7. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Yea that was the same for me. It seemed like as soon as it hit the water it was already in the turtles mouth. Thats pretty cool it happened to someone else. Thanks for sharing bud.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've caught 3 turtles that were the size of my Jeep's tire this year. I don't know what they were, to me they are all snapping turtles , LOL. . Funny nose on them..mud turtle ? They take any kind or size cut bait and fight like tanks.

I do catch a few small snappers here and there...persistent little guys . The last one I caught my kids played with all day, ...they'll learn ; )

There sure are some turtle folks around here somewhere.....they will fine this post before long.

-Jim-

Oh they they all took a 6/0 circle hook , LOL

9. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    So Frank, Do you or have you eaten any turtle? If not,You really should try it.If you're
    fishing for cats or any other fish, turtles will increase your bag potential. If the fish wont bite,it's nice to still have a nice sized turtle to take home for an awesome dinner!

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I caught a 25lb alligator snapper here on ft jackson about three weeks ago on a white 1/8oz rooster tail. 4lb test ultra light ugly stick. took me about 20 minutes to land him. actually got the lure back in one piece. my rod didn't need to be hospitalized, and i kept all my fingers. I counted it as a decent day after i let him go.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have eaten snapper and mud turtles never have eaten a soft shell or painted turtle (they have stripes on their neck). Dont fix them anymore the wife likes to eat them tooo . But..... the scratching around in a bucket to clean them out is more suffering then she will allow plus 3 young kids might loose fingers !:wink::crazy::eek:oooh:

12. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    me and my dad was fishing for catfhis at this small river and this year i hooked this massive snapping turtle, at first i thought i was hung up on this huge log but i was slowly bringing it in so after 5 mins of dragging i saw it. ( now this river is like only 25 yards or so wide). It was this huge snapper. i got it to the bank which is like 6feet almost strait down so no way of dragging him up would for sure break something. so i let him go down in the water so i could take him to a lower imbankment but he just had a hold of the hook and he let go. while he was on the edge of the water we could see him and he was about this size of one of those old wash tub's. his shell was about 40 inches in diameter.. later my luck i hooked him again but this time i hooked him but he had dug in the bottom and i could not move him. so i tied my string to this stell rod we use for poll holders that was stuck in the ground to wait him out. after a long time he finally moved and i brought him in. he was about 560bs. we could not weigh him for sure but we could pick him up by the tail and it was about all i could do to pick him up so its more of a guess but i bet my guess is close. sorry no pic forgot my camera that day

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    you can catchthem with any kind of meat if I wante' to catch them I would Trap them

14. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    About 2 years ago I caught 2 hardbacks at one time. Only 1 had the hook in its mouth. They were mating and wouldn't come apart.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I caught a few while fishing for flats. Yeah they fight really hard and love to still or cut your baits head and gut area. I found that they love to eat goldfish so I swayed away from them when they were in high presence.

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have fished for snapping turtles. We always caught them in muddy bottom creeks. Im talking about mud that you sink up to your knees in. One year 4 friends and I caught about 50 of them in one spot though the summer. 2 biggest were as big around as a wheel barrel. We always used 20lb test mono with a steel leader and a 2/0 or 3/0 j hook. Only needed a couple split shots for weight because the water was slow moving to almost no current. Our best 2 baits was chicken hotdogs and shrimp. First time I caught one was by accident while fishing for cats. They sure are tasty though!

17. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I got labeled turtle digby a few years back, lmao. it seemed everytime we went fishing I'd get a monster hit and then as soon as I started cranking in my " big fish" it would stop fighting and just hunker down like an anchor, i caught so many turtles that summer my wife and brother in law and kids nicknamed me turtle digby lol.
    I have learned since that it was my choice of bait that attracted them, now I use only live fish for bait, that solves the majority of the problem with me attracting the turtles.

I'd hate to have to admit the largest Flathead I ever caught was wearing a helmet and body armor. rotflmao!!!!:eek:oooh:

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Caught a 14 in. soft shell on skipjack !