Fishing Trips - Saving Money

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Duane, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How do you cut cost on fishing trips .Me I buy one bag of ice then put about gallon of water in chest stays good all day .cast net for shad but I do buy my worms. I keep my boat and equipment up. I dont have alot of gear and dont want alot of gear I carry two rods I mainly target 3 to 10 lbers . I not after the big boys cause I dont eat them .my trips average about 15 dollars . I ony run an 8hp nissan so gas isnt a problem and I only take home what im gonna eat

2. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use a lot of chicken liver, so I gotta buy that, but a little money will buy a pile of livers. Actually, my sister raises chickens for butchering, so I can get a lot for nothing, but I like to eat them fresh ones myself. They're way to good to feed to fish! Catch as many worms as I can myself, and usually catch all the chubs, frogs and gills I need also. Most of my fishing is on a couple small lakes pretty close to home( 4 miles and 12 miles) so gas for the pickup and boat ain't a big deal. Don't have all the latest and fanciest equipment, but I'm happy with what I got. Also, I'm happy with a thermos of coffee or jug of water, so don't need to spend a lot on pop or beer.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I wish I could cut cost on my fishing trips, I have to drive 50 miles each way plus gas in the boat, So just in gas my total cost is already 20-30 dollars. As for bait I try to catch as many shad as I can in the spring and freeze them so I have bait for the rest of the year, so I guess thats how I save money.

4. jetdrive

jetdrive New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    With the gas prices so high (and rising) that is really my only expense. I usually gather or catch all my bait. I have to run a lot of river to get to the good spots where I fish and the gas for the boat gets to be my biggest expense.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    for me its gas for the boat and truck my bassboat is real good on fuel usage so it isnt to bad. i dont fish a lot for cats since there really isnt anything big around here. most of my fishing is bass and trout and salmon. unless i got cat or bassing here at one place close to home that runs me about 10 bucks to go if that if i go to the lakes i fish all the time it runs me over 100 bucks for a day of fishing. and the only fish i ever keep are trout and salmon.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Cheaper than golfing, hunting, and most of the other hobbies I have. I think fishing is the cheapest thing I do.

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can save some more by making your own ice. Plastic ice cream and yogurt cups will make larger cubes that last longer. Not much but I'd rather buy hooks than ice.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmmm, things that ive done to save some dough....
    1. load up on snacks at the dollar store
    2. keep a bag full of enough homemade ice in the freezer
    3. buy "Wolf-Maine" lighsticks for .15 each instead of paying $1+:D
    4. make freinds help out on gas
    5. sell fish caught to local ******* (just kidding man!)
    guess thats about it, i catch all my own bait so no cost there......

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think I can save any money fishing. The catfish I take home likely costs me $3 /lb. or more. Soooo I save up for fishing.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I can go fishing for practicaly nothing! I raise red worms, net shad and trap small perch! One of my favorite fishing holes is about 2 miles from my house! I can ride my bike with trailer or take the geo (40 mpg)! If I take a drive out to the islands it might cost 3 dollars! I dont have to pay to launch my boat cause it will be tied up to the houseboat for the summer! I guess ice and gas for boat is biggest expense! When I go ocean fishing on charter boat, I end up paying close to 5 dollars a pound for fish or about $120, but it's well worth it!

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Of course like most here I catch my own bait and I also freeze some for when bait is hard to get. Make my own rod holders nothing special but they work. Try to pack what ever I am going to eat, stuff at the quickie mart can add up. Make my own ice with plastic food containers. My minnow bucket is an old 5 gallon pale from where I work, an oil bucket cleaned very well.

12. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bought my boat last year; fish cost $57.38 per pound. That makes'em free this year! Right?

13. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Local fishing for me the best bargain around. I live less than a mile from the river.Launch is free.Prepared bait three times a year at around $25.00 a bucket. Livers are around $2.00 per trip. Catch my own live and cut bait.Terminal tackle for ea. trip is around $.75. 9 gallons of gas per. day.I would guess that a day on the river costs me about $20.00. Ca'nt beat that with a stick. When going with a fishing buddy the cost goes down again. Where else can you get a full days entertainment and good company for less than that?
    Salt water and camping/fishing will normally run me around $25.00 more a day plus gasoline. Still a great bargain unless we eat out. Being retired and on a fixed income does'nt interfere with my enjoyment outdoors. Just happy that I had planned for this before I retired and got most of my equipment beforehand.

BILL

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Myself I always end up stoping at a store and buying more than what I really need, so maybe I need to eliminate something in between leaving my house and making it to my destination. The money spending always happend in between.

15. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    The only way I can save money on a trip is to not go.

I have to drive forever, my Jeep gets terrible mileage, $4 a day to park, food, bait... ugh. I wish I was independently wealthy.

I do buy the $.79 hot dogs, they seem to work as good as anything.

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Catch all my own bait so that ain't bad. Try to buy hooks by the 100 or at least 25. Pour own weights with buddy. do own work on boat so don;t have to pay somebody. Biggest expence is gas to river. Boat motor is 4st 9.9 so that will run forever on 6 gallons.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I fill one gallon milk jugs with water freeze and smack them with a hammer and cut them open for the cooler. I also refill water the water bottles that I buy (we have a water filtration system at the house) pour My own sinkers, fix My own reels, do most all the work on My boat and Try to buy stuff on ebay or at least on sale when I need it. I also buy worms in bulk (500 at a time) and catch a lot of My own bait. Luckily most of My fishing buddies are well aware of the expense of fishing trips and chip in for gas and stuff. Last night one of My buddies brought Me some chicken and sausages for the freezer and that helps too!!!! nothing Quite like having good friends that help with the expences of fishing!!! after all I'm the one that makes the truck and boat payments so I'm very thankful when someone hands Me a few bucks for My gas tank!!! The more they chip in The more We get to go fishing!!!!!

18. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    save money-fishing. That is an oxymoron for me. I save money so I can go fishing. Really other that the bait, ice, that has already been talked about, I buy my soft drinks and snacks at Wally's.

jim

19. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    the gas eats me up. it's a 72 mile roundtrip to the river and back each day. pulling my big boat with that hemi ain't real good on fuel economy. i usually burn 5 to 10 gallons of fuel on the water. $3 for boat launch. close to $30 bucks just for gas and launch.
    i do freeze all my own ice in either 2 or 5 gallon buckets in the deep freezer.
    i catch the biggest majority of my bait.
    i buy all my terminal tackle from a wholesaler in bulk.
    i make my own fishing weights.
    still a cheap way to enjoy a day in the outdoors!!!!!!!!!

20. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    This winter I started getting a gallon ziplock of ice out of the ice maker on the really cold nights so the water line would not freeze. I used to just dump it in the sink but have started saving it instead. I only had to do it 3 times as we had a really mild winter but I will start doing it the week before a big fishing trip so I will have plenty. The ice maker fills up before morning again.