Fishing trip to milford

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by n2fishn, Jun 21, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Keith,Rick & myself planned a trip to fish miford on Sat.We met Keith at the state park boat ramp at 5am:crazy:Keith had drove out there on Fri night to meet up with Jeff and his crew over in School creek to visit and fish with them until we got there in the morning.

Keith was the man of the day bringing shad for everyone including a buddy of mine that was coming out to fish for wipers.
    (Their report on wipers for the day was two boats three guys caught amost 100 wipers avg around 5 lbs...Their biggest was 7 lbs) Pretty good day for wiper fishing!!

We hit the lake just 5am with dead calm winds.We headed to the wakefield area to find Jay and his crew.We didn't see them so we started drift fishing but there was NO wind.This went on untill about 9am.

Jay called around 930am and we met up on the lake to give them some shad.We all headed to one of Jays spots and the wind was just picking up to where we could drift.

The bite started picking up and Keith was putting on a show pulling fish after fish between Rick and me:confused2:
    Between light showers we ended up catching 13 cats.With a mix of Blues and channels.Keith had the biggest at 8 lbs (released) and the most with I think 9 fish caught.

Jays boat caught about the same amount.

We left for the ramp around 2pm with a pretty good rain fall that made the trip back to the ramp a wet one.

But all in all it was a great day.We all caught fish and got to see everyone once again.

Jay has a pretty good story to tell about his weekend,i will let him go into the details....:wink::smile2::tounge_out:

2. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like you guys had a good time, I wound up fishing in Farnum Creek area. Next time I think I may hit Curtis or something.

3. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    atleast you guys got into some fish:big_smile:

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like you guys had a good day of fishing, glad to hear it was so productive for you. that Kieth is all over it. He sure is dedicated to the fishing , Im glad to have made his aquaintance, as well as the rest of the BOC members.

5. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hi Tom, made it home safely, but it poured most of the way. When we went out at 6:eek:o we got into them hard we couldn't keep all our lines in the water. What fun even capt. Hook was catching some nice fish. We had 8 nice ones in 30 minutes. The weather chased us off the water, We got the boat on the trailer just in time. I just called Jay and they made it through the nite okay and were back on the water.
    see ya soon, Duane.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Duane it was nice seeing you out there.

I figured with the wind that came up in the evening you guys were going to pound them.I wish that wind would of blown yesterday morning.Never seen Milford so calm for the whole day like it was yesterday.

Glad to hear Jay shared some fish catching with you guys.

Hope old Capt.Hook is doing OK....and i'm Glad you guys got off in time before the storm hit and you made it home safe......Look forward to fishing again with you soon. Take care!!

7. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Sorry we didn't meet up with you guys, everytime i thought of heading south, the rain would start again.:sad2:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Glad yall got some fish. Now get some dry ice and send me some.:wink::smile2:
    Hurry up Jay, I wanna hear the story.:smile2:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    :smile2: I have fallen asleep probably 20 times trying to type the story. It will have to wait:sad2:. I am going to bed. :cool2: Only got about 6 hours of sleep since Thursday.

10. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    You can sleep when you're dead, we can't read the story when we're dead though:wink:. Guess I'll check back 2moro.:sad2:

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I ended up staying out at Milford Saturday. I went over and hung out with Jeff and his crew. Jeff and I cleaned there fish and the ones I brought over. Cheyenne fried them all up, and they turned out great. Some of the best blue cat Ive had. Left there and went over to Jay's site. They were still out and I got a nap. Jay woke me up at 230 am or so. We hit the water, and right out of the gate. WHAM !!! A 16 lb. blue. So we thought it was hammer time. We caught alot more, but that turned out to be the best of the weekend for me. I had a great time. Rick and Tom, thanks for lettin me tag along Sat. morning. It was really fun, and Ill never forget Tom's phrase "We need a powerslammer". I dont know what was so funny about that, but it sticks in my head. I ended up getting him with Jay. That 16 lber hit it hard and pulled good drag. Jay thanks alot for taking me out Sat. night. I had a good time with you as well, I wish I could have stayed longer, but it was getting close to my turn for babysittin duty. I had to get home. Those blues out there were biting good this weekend. No pigs, but very fun to say the least. I look forward to fishing with you all again. It was real nice to see Duane, Jim , and Larry again. Good Ole boys for sure. Jeff, and Cheyenne, it was great to see you two, and meet your friends and your kids. I love Milford Lake, it is a beautiful lake, with the chance at a real trophy blue. Awesome campsites, and big water. This was a great weekend, and I really look forward to doing it again. Jay buddy, you take care in Egypt and make it back safe. Im looking forward to hunting pigs with you again next year. Jeff same to you, take care in Iraq, and make it back safe. Next year, Ill bring Kassie and Trinity with me, and me, you, Cheyenne and your two children will have to do some fishing and camping. Take Care all. :big_smile:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/16lbblueMilford.jpg

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Oh, and how do you all like my new avatar? Tom I told you I would make that pic my new avatar. Had to show you all the type of plate that a Professional Buffet Molester piles up. :smile2::big_smile::wink:

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I remember that day well....i went to get me a plate and it was all gone:sad2::tounge_out:

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats on that blue Keith.....Wish the wind would of blew all day I think we would of caught more that size.Oh well maybe next time......

15. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    Keith we will deffinatly have to go fishing with both families! I know Jeff would love it, hell i dont even have to ask him..hell just go. Thanks for bringing over all those fish though, if you hadnt we wouldnt have had nearly as much as we did.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    No problem Cheyenne, I was glad to kick in. :big_smile:

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Well folks, what a weekend. We got to Jim's house about 5:00. Picked up Larry's truck that died Thursday night and headed to the campground. Larry's truck dies on the way to there. He brought an extra battery so we could get it home. We swap it out on the side of the road and make it to the campground. Meet up with Duane and the three of us head out to fish. We had no shad, but we had some perch and carp caught the night before. Start drifting with cut perch about 7:00 or so. About 8:00 Duane's pole get's hammered. I think that fish broke him off if I remember right. Next Duane catches a nice eater channel. We start reeling in close to the bank to start the drift over again, since we found the fish. Larry had 2 lines tangled all up that he is trying to free. After a bit I throw out the anchor so we don't run aground and go back to help him out. That's when I see it... a 6/0 hook buried about 1/4 of the way in his finger. I get the pliers and cut off the eye of the hook and we asses the situation. We wasn't sure if we could get it turned and push it on out and were worried about it getting infected, so we decide emergency room time. Duane takes Larry to the ER and I stay at military marina to throw the net and try for some shad while they are gone. They get back about midnight or so and I managed to net ONE 4" shad the whole time they were gone. Now the wind quit blowing and it was dead calm. We try several different spots but nothing is interested now that the wind stopped. About 2:30 in the morning we decide to head in, cook some supper and go to bed. This concludes night one of the Jay, Duane and Capt. Hook show.

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Oh I cant wait for more:big_smile::tounge_out:...I know its going to get better.Keep typing Jay:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

19. Munch

Munch New Member

State:
    NE
    Hey guys, New to the forum but been visiting your great lake for many years now. Sounds like you had a great weekend. My wife and I were down last Sat. and also fished in the rain. Sure would have liked to have had some shad. I did not know they were so hard to come by right now. No wonder my net came up empty. Hey Keith or anyone who knows? Can you tell me how to go about finding some shad? I am thinking about coming back down this weekend 6/27.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Lynn.