Fishing trip to Bama

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by stlcatman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Swamp and I headed out Wednesday morning on our trip to Wheeler Lake. We had a bunch of stuff to pick up on the way including skipjack from the TN steam plant. We arrived at cumberlin city around 4 in the evening and the skips were not running very strong. We ended up catching around 50 in about an hour. We ran into a fellow BOC'er named brother hilljack (Shane) as we were getting ready to leave. We shot the breeze for a while and he ended up giving us the rest of his skipjack that he had in his cooler. (thanks again Shane) Well as we reached Rogersville with the arctic blast that was following us down we decided that we were not going to camp so we set up shop at the econo lodge.

Thursday started off really windy and cold as all get out. We had gusting winds out of the north of 20 plus. It pretty much kept us on the north bank the whole day as there were 3 to 5 foot swells on the south side. We ended up finding a bank holding some fish and I ended up catching a 4 , 6 lber and lost a big fish that dove at the edge of the boat and got me hung up on the bottom. Friday brought more of the same with swamp catching a 10 lber and not too many bites all day.

Now throughout this I had been talking to Mike Mitchell (southerncats). He was helping us out a bunch and telling us areas to try along with a bunch of other helpful info. The guy knows those waters well. Friday was probably one of the most dis-heartning days and it was sinking in that the weather might beat us on this trip. As we headed to the resteraunt for some dinner we decided that a few adult beverages would lift our spirits a bit. As the waitress came to take our order I heard her utter the worst 5 words a guy in my state of mind could here "this is a dry county" Clearly this was not our day.:sad2:

Saturday was a new day and we started off with only 12 mph winds which ment that would could fish the whole lake. We drove around for a good hour looking for structure when Swamp noticed something off to the side on the side imaging. We turned for another look and found a great peice of structure laying on the channel edge. We anchored up and before Swamp had his 3rd pole out his first one was down. The fight was on and within 5 minutes he had a healthy 59 lber in the boat and a new PB for Swamp and his new boat. High fives and a photo shoot began and then the fish was released back to the depths. As the fish swam off I looked up and one of my rods was doing the slow bend. I reeled down and started fighting the fish. While I am fighting mine swamps other rod went down and he set the hook and put the rod back in the holder to net my fish. It was a nice 55 lb blue. Swamp reeled his fish in and we had a 55 and a 25 in the boat. We fished a few more spots into the evening. Swamp caught a 10 lber and I managed to land a 45 while swamp was buisy breaking a good one off on a massive hook set :)smile2:) sorry swamp.

We didn't fish on Sunday and decided to get an early start back home. It was a great trip and I hope the next time I go back I have it in the budget to take Mike up on one of his guided trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the trip report Ryan. Those are some great photos too. It was a cold time down here that's for sure! Way to "get out" despite the chilly weather.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice fish Y'all, good thing the weatherman was correct eh? Worst 5 words I ever heard, LMAO!!!! That would just about do it, I'll guess ya had a ride over the county line...LOL. Boy the one fish sure seems to be long and skinny looking or that just the way your holding her?

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm so jealous!!:roll_eyes: Hey, how long a drive was that any how?

Congrats Ryan and Swampy for a fine fishing trip!:smile2::smile2:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the great report Punkin. Glad you guys found some fish, and made the trip a memorable one. Congrats to Swamp on a new Personal/Boats Best Blue Cat. Nice work guys.

6. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Bill,
    Said and done it was about 6-1/2 hours. We need to put something together to get a few of us down there for the weekend.

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks Marc, yeah it was cold and windy but Saturday offered a little relief. Swamp has some more pictures of his fish on his camera. These pictures don't do the fish justice, those lake fish had huge bellies and massive wide heads.

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO

She looked a lot fatter in person. It was a long fish though, longer than the 55 but didn't quite have the bulk around the head and shoulders.

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Congrats you guys. Looks like the persistance paid off! Reps for getting out in this stuff. Ryan, it says I need to spread the love some more before repping you.

Cuz and Gary were keeping us up on your tally at the poker tourney. Fortunately, we were having a great time and didn't have to much time to feel TOO jealous! :wink:

Again, thanks for the report. Much needed this time of year.

10. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for the report Ryan and congrats on some nice fish

11. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Congrats guys. Your determination paid off. Those are some nice looking kitty's. Reps to ya for the PB and the great photos. :0a31:

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats fellows, perseverance paid off. Great pictures and again congrats on a PB and a successful trip.

13. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    nice catch:wink::wink::wink:

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Awesome,thanks for the report and great pics. Reps to ya for some great fish and braving the elements. :cool2:

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    great looking fish brothers!!! Congrats and thanks for the tips

16. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    looks like a good fishing trip guys:wink: great job on the photos

17. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Looks like you boys had a pretty good time minus the brew! Great job guys!

18. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice fish guys...I'm glad yall got a taste of our SouthernCat hospitality......looks like your close to where second creek runs into the old barge canal..but I could be wrong by 100ft or so.

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    No that is pretty much right on the money. Thanks again for all of the help and tips for down there. I wish you could have come out with us on Saturday. That is one of the hardest lakes to learn, the river channel is huge. I have never seen a lake with a river channel that is over 2 miles wide before.

20. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Boy you guys really put the hurt to them blues. Congrats :wink: