Fishing Trip this saturday - I need some advice on catching the catfish!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Apr 6, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am planning on fishing my uncle's farm pond Saturday that has a lot of cats in it. The forecast calls for AM showers and the high is 54 degrees. Its probably going to rain some the night before too. What do u think would be some good baits to try? I am already going to use gills (live and cut), crawlers, shrimp.

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I would use hot dogs soaked in garlic or bacon

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    try chumming the deepest part of the pond

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fresh chicken livers, cured too, if you have them; bacon. If the catfish get fed commercial food, take along some Old Roy Dinner Rounds; just be sure to keep them in a ziploc bag so they don't dry out, or they'll get too hard to stick a hook through without crumbling. Take as many baits as possible. I once tried half a dozen proven catfish baits in a pond without catching a cat, only to end up having a really good day catching them on bacon.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i would dig some red worms. especially if it is gonna rain the night before. its a natuaral bait and cats will gorge themselves on worms right after a rain. if you know where to dig some green worms they would be the best thing but most people dont know where to find them.

6. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    least the wind wasn't blowing mach 90 like it was last saturday when I tried fishing down there.

7. jamesnewsom

jamesnewsom New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Chicken livers with some garlic salt on them will always lead you in the right direction.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would go with worms or grubs first. In addition I would take a variety of baits. Who knows what the cats will bite on. I always like worms after a rain. You can now get dyes to color your worms. I like cut worms because they are tough and have a smell that cats seem to like.

9. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    What are those and what areas should you dig for them. How big are they?

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    green worms are similar to red worms,a lil bigger,dark green and smell real bad.usually i find them by a river in the damp sand.just dig out a shovelful of dirt/sand and look for them.sometimes you may have to look in several spots before you find them.i've had pretty good luck finding them by the ohio river.
    hope this helps,
    john

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My always used to tell me to use a salt shaker. Said if I was close enough to shake salt on them I could just grab them. Come to think of it, thats when I first started noodling. As stated, if it rains the night before, use bait that would naturally be washed into the pond...manly worms. If you wait too late, they will be so gorged on worms they won't hit anything else. Another thing, if it's just rain, go ahead and fish in it... the fish are all ready wet and they won't mind. BUT if there's lightning, plan on fishing another day.