Fishing trip for a week During End or Oct or Nov

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tntitans21399, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am from Nashville, live in East Nashville, but I am thinking of using my vacation week at work during the end of Oct or first week in Nov and just go to the lake all day and night to different spots each day. So I will be going to Old Hickory and Percy Priest. I am still new to catfishing and I have 4 big heavy duty catfishing poles from years ago and 50lbs test on them with some big hoos, can't remember the size, I'll try to look around and see if I can remember. Might be the Bass Pro CatMaxx Baitholder Hooks (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...2_100000000_100010000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT)
    or similar, I think I have 3/0 size hook. I know it is a big hook which will be great for some huge catfish, but for normal size cats or sizes that I see most people cat in pics is that to big? I have some rotten shad tube sink bait and some dough balls. But since I'm new to catfish, I have been bass fishing for a little bit, still not great at it but love being on the water. I would like to give catfishing a try. I have been reading magazines, books, and this site, but any other spot, baits, and fishing advice from other locals would be great. I am going to try and catch a small fish and then try and the cut it's head and tail off and use different parts. I heard that was the best from reading this site.

Also I know by Oct & Nov a lot of boat traffic will be gone and I have heard/read, through magazine articles, that you want to be near the channel. So do you other guys just drift over the channel or anchor so you are right near the edge? Does other boats in the channel effect your fishing?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to the Old Hick dam and try and catch some skipjack(AKA catfish candy)..If for some reason you can't find no skips use a dip net or a cast net around the dam and try to catch some shad..If all else fails get some light tackle with some worms or crickets and catch some bream and cut them up for bait..All that other stuff like dough bait and tube stuff will only catch small channel cats..Old Hick has been difficult for me this year but have caught a few around Shutes Branch and Bledsoe creek..You want @ least 20 lb line with @ least 1 oz of weight..I use circle hooks from 3/0 for small channel cats, 5/0 for med to large cats and a 8/0 for big cats.If you fish @ night that would be the best plus there won't be as much boat traffic..Look for deep water as in 30' +...And good luck..Welcome to the BOC..

3. tndogman

tndogman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been getting some skips below the OH dam with a sibiki rig on an ultralight spinning rod or with a 1/32 crappie jig .... it is sort of a hit or miss kind of thing; you might get several one trip and only one the next ... don't worry about trying to keep them alive - the stress of the fight kills them ... just have a large minnow bucket or an ice chest with you so you can immediately put them on ice at the lake ... I freeze the ones I don't use for later use although some people say that is no good ... good luck, hope you catch a monster.

4. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How much did that cat weight, Iforet?

I am hoping to catch some big ones too.

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    These 2 were caught @ Bledsoe creek on Old Hick..28 lb flathead and 35 lb blue..

Attached Files:

6. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah those are the sizes i would like to be catching, not little dints.

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    There not easy to find I can tell ya that..I fished 3 years here before I got one over 20lbs..But sometimes to me I enjoy catching a nice mess of 4-5 lbers..Aint nutting like landing one over 30 lbs though..1 fish that size makes the trip..

8. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What size skips are you getting? I have been getting 5 to 7 incher below Cordell Hull Dam in Carthage. And I do not know who told you that freezing them is bad, I do it all the time and still catch fish!

9. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I fish Old Hickory all the time, I mostley jug fish but I do fish with a rod while jug fishing. Go to Davis Corner off hwy 109 in Lebanon put in there, head towards the channel and any where in there you will catch alot of 5 to 15 pounders in about 6 to 10 ft of water at night. Hope this is helpful