Fishing Trip 25NOV06

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by speciallibXO, Nov 21, 2006.

1. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Tawn and I are heading out Saturday morning to catch some blues. Any updated info on where to find bait and where the big boys are hitting would be much appreciated. We'll be putting in at Marshall Hall and fishing towards the Woodrow Wilson bridge. Hope to see some of you out there.

2. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The current plan is to put in at Marshall Hall around 0715 - 0745, head over to Pohick to try and catch some shad, and then head upriver and hit from Fort Washington up to the Woodrow Wilson. We're bringing bought bait with us, but will be cast netting for shad. That way if we get skunked on shad catching ( we really don't know how to do it yet ) we have a fall back bait that we have caught fish on. I'm really looking forward to getting some fresh bait, as I know it will bring more fish. Just interested in seeing how much more fish it brings. We hope to see you guys out there on Saturday. Look for a white 21' Carolina Skiff with a T-Top that says Special Liberty on the sides. If you have fresh caught shad definitely make sure you stop by. ( for a trade ) :big_smile:

3. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Well tomorrow fast approaches. We finalized plans this afternoon and will be putting in around 0800 from Marshall Hall. Have some white perch as bait, and we'll be trying our hand at catching some shad with the castnet. Today was a fabulous day for fishing, and it looks like the weekend is suppose to have the same type of weather. I'll post pics after we get back tomorrow evening.

4. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    just thought of something...its the first day of gun season. Since the boat is at medical, guess I better do something constructive and reduce the herd somewhat. :cool2:

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good Luck with Bambi - we'll let ya know how we did on the river - really looking forward to it considering the forecast, don't know how many more 60 degree days we'll have for awhile

6. KaJaMa

KaJaMa New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Probably quite a few...right up until Marty and I get the boat back, then the weather will turn to crap.

7. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Hope the weather holds for you guys.

We had a good day as far as our standards go. 10 fish, 8 over 20 lbs, 3 over 30lbs with the biggest being 36 lbs. We had the son of a shipmate of ours out with us and he landed a 33 lbs'er, about 3 times his personal best. We held his belt while he was on the deck giving it his all! LOL!!

Saw a lot of boats around the Ft Washington Light. Through the binoculars it looked like they were catching some nice 20-30 lbs fish - we struckout in that area - first time the humps at Piscataway treated us wrong. Found most of our good fish up river.

Nathan will be posting pictures soon.

Be safe - Tawn

8. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Good fish...Sabin is quite prophetic in his weather predictions.
    Didnt get a shot today, but of course, the guy I was with did get one, a little buck...he'll be good eating.

9. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We saw a real good size buck right on the water near the 88 buoy. 8 to 10 pointer and probably would have dressed out at 120 - 140lbs+. Now down to the business at hand. Here is a sampling of some of the fish we caught. I'll throw another post on after this one to get more pictures out.

Attached Files:

10. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are a couple more pictures.

Attached Files:

11. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We rigged up all of our rods with stingers after a couple of hours and the amount of fish that were put in the boat increased greatly. You can find them here http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&parentId=cat20291&id=0039246
    It's a long link, but takes you right to the stingers. We put the slip knot
    above the eye on the circle hook and then stick a barb of the stinger into
    the bait on the opposite side of where the circle hook penetrates
    the bait. I'll get some pictures to post showing how we are rigging up.
    That way if we are doing it wrong maybe someone can set us in the
    right direction.:big_smile:

12. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Those are some nice looking fish. A lot better than the 3-5 lb'ers I caught all weekend.

13. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    One more good picture

Attached Files:

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great fish guys ones again you have showed why the potomac river is one of the best catfish rivers going. I hope to hit the waters on tues and will run the DC waters this time. Did you found any bait with the cast net ?

15. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Our anxiousness to get hooks in the water got us again - we didn't even try. We found fresh white perch at Annapolis Seafood and thats what we used. I get like a little kid once the boats in the water, I wanna fish NOW not run around looking for bait. Maybe next time? Good luck Tuesday!

16. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    thanx for aall the info have not been out much been reducing the deer herd and ducks lately

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    fish the water up in DC for about 6 hours today. Got my bait around Blue Plain on Shad darts got 15 in about 20 min. Fish Blue Plain, Fox Ferry and some at the power plant all holding some nice fish 6 in the 20's 3 in the 30's, around 10:00 i moved up to the key bridge and three sister rocks it was a great move first fish at the bridge was 38 and had 2 more in th 20's. Fish the Dc side channel at 3 sisters first about 18' of water pulled 4 nice fish in about a hour 2 20's a 33 and a nice 40 real fat. Around 12:00 I set up on the VA side channel just up from the 3 rocks in abour 50" had one fish I couldn't stop thinking a rock was on that bait. First fish i got there was 48 lbs the 3 in the 30's and then the bite stop. It was a great day to be out very little wind and no boats running by only saw two boats fishing. I thinkthe top 5 fish today would be 180 did have like 22 over the 20 lb mark. lots of fish up there and I don't think they see alot of fishing done for them. Most of us stay down below the bridge. Something to think about come the jan tournament maybe a run up river can win the tourny,

18. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Glad to hear you had a good day. What and where can I find out how to go about getting a DC "boat drivers license". I've heard you have to attend a class in order to get it. Any info would be appreciated. I changed my travel arrangements so that I will be back in town when you guys put the fish in the tank at BPS. I plan on getting there around 9-9:30. Looking forward to meeting ya. I'm going to be looking at coolers and areators while I'm there to use as a live well during tournaments. If you don't mind maybe you could give me your opinion on what to buy while we're there.

Congrat again on a good day
    Tawn

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tawn is was great just being out there the fish just added to it. Yes you will need a boaters safety courses to run a boat in DC waters. You can take it online at http://www.boatsafe.com/ I think its like 10.00 or have a captain's license.
    I will be at BPS around that time as well and would be more then happy to help in any way I can. see you then

20. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Took and passed the DC boaters safety exam this morning - not too tough, there is a link where you can go to the study guide and look up the answer to every question (although I did manage to miss one). It cost $25 for the certificate. I will wait until 1 Jan to buy the DC License - no point in paying for 22 day of fishing time. Looking forward to fishing North of the bridge. I did read in the study guide that it is illegal to anchor in the channel. Has anyone been busted for fishing the edges, where the bottom falls off to deeper water?