Fishing tools

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Naack, May 8, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i was just wondering how many of you actualy use the barimetretic pressure to help you determine when to fish? and where you would get a barimetretic.. i need to invest in 1 , also need to find a good therometer to take to tre river with me :smile2:

2. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    What you need is called a barometer. That is what is used to read barometric pressure. Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's Club or Wal-Mart all sell them in the garden sections usually. Some come as combination thermometers and berometers. As far as thermometers you can use one for a swimming pool for a cheaper way to go.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    my thermometer I bought at a fly shop has like a tube around it that fills with water Gives u a good reading even after you pull it out of the water u got plenty of time to read it.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You don't need a thermometer, all you need is the Internet.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I don't usually break out the barometer until Summer.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wpxi.com has all the weather info you need ,set up your persnoal weather report on there.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
  8. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    An excellent source for weather information is wunderground.com. I use the pressure every time. I read a book on the pressure long ago and have proved the information valuble time and time again. Here is the summary. the pressure may be the single most important thing to watch. The problem is that a barometer is not as helpful as you might think. What the actual pressure reading is does not help much at all. What is more important is what it's doing. When the pressure is falling you are sure to find good fishing. If the pressure is holding it will be hit or miss as the fish will follow other cues for feeding paterns. When the pressure is rising the fishing is generally bad. an esy way to guess your way through is to watch the forcast. If it is going to rain the pressure will almost always drop right before the rain and until it stops. As the front moves out the pressure will rise quickly turning off the bite in most cases. Im sure that everyone has at least a few cases of this that they can remember. This is not to say that you can' catch fish when the pressure is wrong but trying to head out when it is right will make a noticable difference. I hope this was helpful.

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I only use the pressure in my head to decide when to go fishing.
    When it starts to build up :eek:oooh:
    I know it's time to go fishing. :0a23:

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa

Good report Rodger! I've started to pay attention to the barometer a lot more this past year and you are right on the money! I go fishing whenever I can but its nice to know what the pressure is doing!

11. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    When the pressure starts dropping the fish move onto the flats near feeder creeks and wait for the terestrials to get washed downstream. I find that fishing is good a few days before a large front and the day after, then the fish move from these site. It is well worth while to try night crawlers as bait during this time because there are alot of worms washed in from the feeder creeks, I have been amazed at what a nightcrawler can catch at these times since I nomally use large baits. The large baits seem to be overlooked alot of the time during this period. The pressure change definetly causes the fish to move so try different spots and just wait. The pressure seems to affect the channel cats alot more than the flattys around here.

12. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I gotta agree with that logic! If I catch fish, that's great, if I don't, I'm happy just being there!

13. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    if anyone lives near the kmart in parkway center mall greentree they have them in the fishing section in a plastic bin for 2$ on clearence prob about 4 of them.