Fishing tonight at Van Buren Creek in Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Keifer5150, May 22, 2009.

1. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Fishing tonight at Van Buren Lee Creek opening in to the Arkansas river.
    Prefished it for about 2 hours last nigh and cought one on Secret 7 and had bites on Danny King. Fishing from the bank and working the mouth of the creek. I see there is a line in the river where the cerent slows down and it sets about 100yrds off the bank is the where the channel wall is I dont know much about river stuff. I am a lake guy. If so this is where I need to place my bait then right or just keep it in the mouth area you think. I will try to post Pics of my fish if i get any ok guys and any info on the river would help me out thanks guys.

PS I was thinking of fishing Kerr in Oklahoma but I dont wnat to be crazy right now and get out there on the water as high as it is. Do any of you know about how ong it takes to them to bring down the leves there and if so what is the mean level for that lake anyone know..

Keith

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Keith, Welcome to the B.O.C. enjoy your stay here.

3. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    There are some jettys that run into the river. They start on the river across from the boat ramp. I guess that would be the noth bank they run south out into the river and west parallel with the north bank. Look at the river on googles aerial maps. I am from VB but I am a beginer to catfishing

4. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Right I see what you are talking about. I think this is a line in the water that could be from them then I see. all I was thinking was if that is a slack spot in the river it should hold fish. given the speed it is at right now. I was thinking like down deep in the river channel or in the slack water would be the most productive spots and I know from the past the banks with structure hold bait fish so at night look for the banks to fedding zones as well. I am for the most part a drift boat man and trolling the channels when the water is slow.

I have smaller 14 foot V type boat with a little 6 hrs enegine on it so I cant play in fast water. I look for channles and structure on lakes and small rivers. As kid my Father would fish Kerr lake in oklahoma and we would drift the channels there and pick up nice fish all the time but his boat was bigger. has anyone found any shad out on the arkansas river yet that you know of...
    Keith

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Keith and Kyle - Welcome to the BOC! Now this is what I am talking about. Getting these new members to post! And if i could afford to get there , then I would join ya! But not right now, to tight around here as is. Be safe and let us know how well ya do!

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC and will be waiting on the update from tonite.

7. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Keith how did you do at Lee Creek? I see the river still looks the same. Hope you caught some let us know.

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Welcome guys.
    We always catch shad at the spillways throwing a net or watching where the birds are diving at the water.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I had a note typed up for this thread about lee creek, but the storms knocked me off line and I lost it all :roll_eyes: I am assuming that you are fishing from the lee creek park, since you said you were where it runs into the arkansas. Directly in front of the dock, out where you say you see a line, is a dike, there are several in that area, if you look to the left of the dike there is a wooden pilon with a navigation light on it. between it and the pier your fishing from is a deep hole, I have caught a few blues and couple flatheads out of it. Its over fished! :angry: Take your boat and go up lee creek past the rail road bridge and hiway bridges untill you get to where there is rock bluffs on your left, this is an excellent area for flatheads, Ive caught several there, small ones, good eaters. on up to the lee creek dam, all I have caught is channel cats , and is a good place to get shad. Directly across from lee creek , across the arkansas are several more dikes, the produce good fish also. Kerr Lake is a good place too, Big Sam, 777, Baitboat, they all fish it and can tell you more than I can about it. all i know about Kerr is everytime I go, I catch fish! Hope this helps. Mac P.S. Use live bait for flatheads, small blue gills are best. for blues, catch some shad! or skipjack if you can find them........

10. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    great site,lots of helpful poeple & info.I started working in Ft Smith in Dec.
    Soon as the water goes down i'm going to bring my boat to work and fish when i get off at 6:30am.Been fishing Webers Falls OK area of the river for the last few years and doing good,but i need to learn the river from about Lee Creek to L&D 13 now that i work down here.Maybe I'll run into ya'll.Good luck

11. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Guys we did not do to well out there the water was fast and it was slow as in no bites. LOL we had some fish in freezer from the last couple of tripps so we still had a fish fry any way.
    So I am think me and Kevin my twin brother may try going up in Lee Creek like you said and fishing the bluff line. is the the one thats over by Feild of Dreams or is before you get there.. I was thinking of puttingin a Fleid of Dreams and fishing all in there just Cut and Hold shad or Like you said Blue Gill

Thanks to all of you on here for your info and help.

Hello
    srblack, smellycat, littlemac and fox

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the Hood!!! As for kerr i suggest staying out of the middle in a small boat seen too many "issues" in the past:eek:oooh::crazy: You could fish Keota landing, vian landing, sallisaw creek landing, I would recommend vian myself in a small boat not much danger back in the flooded timber except stumps!!! As for the lee-creek to barling pool i try to avoid that area....not much action:wink:

13. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Big Sam, How about near the garrison ave. bridge that runs into Fort Smith. I have been curious about that area but never fished it.

14. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The Jetties that stick out in the river from the garrison bridge up river toward the spiro dam hold some fish behind them....preacher mike has been catching cats on the poteau river..that is the channel to the left right there at the "devils-triangle":tounge_out:

15. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Ok Thanks Big Sam

Hey what about fishing Just out side of Cowlingpiont and Applegate there on Kerr as Kid we would put in at Applegate and fishh all of Kerr from there. What we called sand boys and Star and Combine Island.. Now as far as Sallisaw Creek goes we could fish it right. you said Keota Landing I dont know where that is.. Its has been a long time sence I was out on Kerr.

What part of the river is that that is north of Spiro OK there where the rail road cosses over it.. By Spiro Monds area do you know of any to launch over there. I guess you would call that the Redland area..

I guess sallisaw creek would be Off of Dwightmission Road there noth Of sallisaw off 40 west right...

16. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :big_smile:Welcome to the BOC:smile2: Sorry to hear you had a bad day fish on the river. :angry: but keep your head up and your fishing rod out :wink: it takes a while to figure the rivers out :cool2:but once your do your will be getting biger and better fish than you ever cought :roll_eyes:.

17. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

That is actually called a bunch of different stuff!!! Wilsons rock, cache-creek, redland-bottoms it's all the same area......i fished it 2wks ago nothing but a few channels:wink: my blue spots were nill....keota landing gravel bar ramp not the closed park thieves have been hanging at that 1..we stay away....the gravel bar ramp is on hwy 9 just outside of keota on the right look for giant gravel piles you'll see the ramp..it's free:tounge_out:

18. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks Sam Kevin and I will have to check that one out... I think we might try to go to feild of dreams and put in and drift or trol thought there to work out some Kinks in the boat this weekend. Maybe even fish the Lee Creek Lake part in some of the deep parts. Try to adjust things on the boat get all worked out. I am trying to get my Rod holders mounted and fixed right but I think I need to test them on the water. to get my spaceing right. I have seen some of the rigs on here and they seem to be about a foot or so apart. OOO whats the max numder of rods you can fish in a boat with 2 people is it 2 each or more anyone know.

19. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Field of dreams ramp is where I put in , its shallow thru there most of the time and only one stump that I can remember.:eek:oooh: Usually not much action through there, plenty blue gills though and maybe even some shad. turn left on the main water body and go under the bridges, there are several holes up through there, I wouldnt fly through there until you make a pass to see wheres shallow. Watched a bass fella fly up through there one day, I told my wife your about to hear somethin...... sure enough fella hit that gravel bar on full plane. made a heck of a racket.........:smile2:Good luck, might see ya out there if weather isnt bad. Mac

20. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Mac

thanks for the info I needed that.. The Best I can do is Crawl up in there with my Little 14foot and 6 HP motor LOL... you say good bream fishing maybe something to think about for the Kids to have fun with worms LOL.. and Get bait at the same time.. What the regs on Bait fish like Blue gill anyone know.

Keith