Fishing thunderbird

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by srjones, May 1, 2006.

1. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    Is anyone doing any good at thunderbird? I only ever seem to catch crappie around sailboat marina when ever I go. Any one know of any good spots? What kind of fish can be caught there other than crappie, carp and channels?

2. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    clear water cove @ the s/w corner is a cove that is shallow 10/4 ft has yealded nice flatties for me . also hog creek , north end in the timber, and little river intrance arround log jams be careful there it is shallow there but nice fish if u r looking for flatties . have ti watch ur stuff in daytime . also it is a weekday lake ,so much boat traffic on weekends. also nice walleye around the resturant across from fishermans point on s side . blues in clear water too. hope this helps fish it all the time .

3. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are a lot of good spots around t-bird, but most of them are only accessable from a boat. However, there are some good places on the Clear Bay side and over by the Little Axe side. Hog creek offers a lot of good spots during the week, when the weekenders aren't there. Boat and jet-skis can be a real bother at times. If you can get into the picnic area down by the bridges, there are some good area to fish from on the south side. The river channel is always a good place to fish. The lake has saugeyes, blues, and flatheads to fish for. The flatheads seem to be a well kept secret, not too many people fish for them. White and black bass are also popular at t-bird, and of course there are tons of sunfish, bluegills and green, and some pumpking seed once in awhile. Good luck.

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Well Steve..... I'd be happy to show you around the lake. But I don't really want to let all my secrets out of the bag for all to know. If you are fishing from shore I would sugest finding someone with a boat that is familiar with the lake. With the water level down so much you could learn alot about that lake just by cruising around for an hour or so. Points of interest would be north of Little Axe boat ramp ALL the way to Hog Creek on both the east and west side.

Like I said, I'd be happy to show you around the lake if you get a boat on the water out there. Just send me a P.M. and we can set up a time. BTW last time I was out there the only safe ramps to use were South Dam and Little Axe and South Dam was starting to look pretty bad. I drove by today and it looked like the level was up a few feet but it still looked to be at least 3 foot below normal pool level. The last report I got was that the crappie were spawning and that means the cats are coming to the shallows to feed on the crappie. I was also told that Little Axe Campgrounds is now closed to day use. You have to camp or be a visitor of a camper to access that area. But you can park at the bend by Peebley road and hike to the end of the cove and get over to the old road bed. Try there for great night fishing.

Good Luck
    David Frantz

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    my brother and a friend went to t-bird yesterday...caught about 200 crappie

i sure wish he would have called me to go

6. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    I've got a boat, a lil 16' flat bottom, I'll have to take you up on showing me around out there.