Fishing through the blue catfish spawn

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by powercat, May 25, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    The fishing has really slowed down on the LOZ with the spawn beginning. I would accept any suggestions on how to catch blues during the spawn or should I just wait for them to do their thing and start fishing again the first of July.

2. lakatman

lakatman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Man i dont know its been real slow here too

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    It has been alright here, yesterday I went with my friend on the Vermilion. We fished the front drop-off of a hole which goes from 4 - 12 feet in about 10 yards. I caught a 2pound blue and he got a HUGE one on that we fought for 20 minutes on 12 pound test, then right when we got it up towards the boat the hook just came out......:crazy: We actually even got it out of a snag before it finally got off, man what a dissapointment. I'll say it went over 15 pounds, too.:angry:

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Dick,
    Go out and "keep blazing your own trail".
    Not fishing for any reason based on what others think just limits your potential.

There is an infinite amount of knowledge, techniques and patterns that is not known, used and the sky is the limit.

I guarantee there is no one here who has them completely "figured out" now or ever to answer that question. Where then would the challenge be anyway:big_smile:

Good fishing.

5. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would keep trying, but maybe not as often. Remember that they don't all spawn at the same time and there will be some starting, and some finishing the spawn. It is hard to keep going when you don't catch much, but it will break loose, and you will be there to know when.

6. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I found them this morning on the mud flats in 7 to 10 ft. of water. I had my son and two grandsons with me and we caught 2 nice blues (eaters) and a channel who's head looked like he was on steroids with several battle wounds over his head and body. The youngest grandson is only 4 so we fished just over a hour before he was ready to go home.

7. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Find the areas where they spawn. Specifically, find the best spawning habitat, thats where the BIG females are. They don't all spawn at once, there will be fish in various stages of spawn and prespawn in these areas. Which means there will almost always be a few hungry fish. Blues, in my experience, move into proximity of spawning location up to a month before they actually spawn, and they feed ravenously before doing the dirty deed. Get close to a major spawning site, use good fresh bait, and hang on! I've heard alot of people say that spawning season is tough for fishing cats, but the spawn is consistently the best fishing of the year as far as the size of fish for me, mostly because I know exactly where they'll be at at that time.

Also, please release any big fish u catch out of spawning areas, it is vital to maintaining your fishery if you want quality cats.

8. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I've found that I can drop baits directly in front of spawning holes and catch males sitting on their nests. I've done this mainly as an experiment to determine if the cats are spawning yet. I personally don't advocate fishing right on spawning holes because if a male that has mated with a big female is spooked off his nest then those fry that have the genes to become big fish will be eaten by sunfish and other predators. But if you fish in the vicinity of a major spawn site, you can still catch very nice fish that are in late prespawn stage, without compromising the spawn.