Fishing this weekend

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cg4ksu, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cg4ksu

cg4ksu New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am relatively new to setting bank lines and need some advise.

I have really enjoyed this sight and have got some real good information.

I only have time to set bank lines once a year and this weekend is going to be it for this year. I am going to a small river in Kansas that we have pulled two 25 pounders out of last year.

We gennerally buy goldfish from the bait shop and have good luck with them. But I have also seen a lot of people on here suggesting bluegill. When we tried them last year they seemed to die rather quickly after getting them on the hook. I know of a place where I can take the kids to catch a mess of bluegill if I can keep them alive long enough for Mr. Flathead to eat it.

Also I was lucky enough to be able to go twice last year the first time we went we only caught 2 small channel cat, but we had to re-bait almost every hook each time we checked. Some hooks were even straighten or missing.

Does anybody have any good advise to share, bait or otherwise?

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

4. cg4ksu

cg4ksu New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The goldfish are generally 3 inches long.

I used the wrong term for fishing. We are going to set some limb lines and then fish with a rod and reel while we wait to run them.

Thanks for the picture. We hooked the Bluegill more twards the middle of the dorsal fin.

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    well for flatheads you use whole bream or bluegill or thats what i use...or bullhead cats:smile2:

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would recomend using shad this way also... but i prefer bluegill over goldfish.... But i do wish you the best of luck

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    buy our video at megacatcrew.com

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    when using blue gill are they diein before you get to the spot? if so do you have an airater on your bucket i did not have one in the past and my bait always died rather quick so i got one and now bait lives all night hope this might help ya..

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One more thought - if you are hanging your baits in a decent current (you said you were fishing a river) then that could be part of your problem. If the current is strong enough to tire the baits out and turn them backwards in the current, then they will drown. Course, I would expect it to do this to goldfish, too. If that's the problem, then hooking them in the nose will help. I put the hook point in the fish's mouth and come out the top of their nose.

Next thing, what style and size of hooks are you using that got straightened?

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.