Fishing this weekend...Pony Pasture

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tomorrow I'm going to be going to the Pony Pasture area below the Z dam. I think I'm going to be starting at the little meadowland park. Its about halfway between Huguenot Flatwater and Pony Pasture. I'll be fishing for the bluegill first so I guess if I don't catch any I won't be fishing for any flatheads. I've never had any luck in that area and I've fished it very very often. I'm used to the tidal James, so I guess when I start losing sinkers I'll call it a wrap. I have about 30 4oz bank sinkers, I'll only put up with losing a handful before I call it quits.

Any suggestions, do I need to cast really far out or should I keep my casts close to the bank in the running water? I may be wading out to find some holes but I don't have a life jacket so I may not. I don't like the idea of wading into the James when I fish alone....

Thanks
    David

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I didn't catch the monster flathead but I did learn maybe where to go and what I need. I saw some people fishing on the other side around Walkers Island. They were wading so I figured they were fishing for the flatheads. I think the river is low enough to walk over there but I wasn't prepared for that. I walked from the Huguenot flatwater parking lot down the the meadow park area. Man it was a long walk, I had a backpack full off gear 3 rods and a cooler. I need to lighten my load for sure. Didn't catch any bluegill and didn't really see any area I thought I could catch them. I guess I'll have to get a bait tank and catch them and bring them.

From the meadow area I was getting baked by the sun so I moved up river.
    The next area I found was down a rocky bank about 50 yards down river from the z-dam, the current was strong so I didn't stay too long. Then I fished right at the z-dam by the "canoe moves" sign. I think that may be a good spot. It's right at the dam lots of different currents, I found areas where I could cast and my line held bottom. Not to mention I found a ton of sinkers all balled up in line, several nice hooks too. My last place was on the bank by the "enter at your own risk" sign. It was shady. I finally caught 4 channel cats after several hours of fishing. Not huge but good size. That was one of the best days in that area I've ever had....
    Took 20 minutes to lug all my crap back to the truck, it felt like a death march. I guess I'll try for the flatheads again soon. I really want to learn that area more.
    later
    David
    david

3. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry you didn't have any luck !! But it sounds like you have a plan:wink: