Fishing this week end

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by matt22va, Aug 27, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I'm gonna give the Cooper another shot early in the morn and fishing the lake with Roundhill on Saturday. I'll let you guys and gals know how it goes.

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Matt i usually fish the river. Been fishing the lake lately, cause the crabs werereally bad. We always fish out of cypress gardens and go down the riverfrom the shack to the power lines sometimes a little further down. How's the bite down there this time of year?
    Might have to try it one day during the gathering!

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Wesley,
    Usually we do fairly well but fighting the crabs is too much. The last time I went the crabs had slowed down, not really, I just think they have been thinned out a little. I just spent the weekend in Ga so I've only fished the river once in over a month. I've been trying to figure out the lake. I fish the same area you do but I'm usually in the creeks, I've been trying to drift the channel around the powerlines with some success, but only done it a couple of times. The last time I went out was two weeks ago and was successful for 4 hours of fishing with a 25lber and a couple of little ones. I have a really good tide tomorrow but will be on frozen bait so I will let you know how it goes.

4. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Well I went and picked the boat up this morning, got to bushy and park and the courtesy lights were left on. Dead battery, pulled out the jump starter, dead jump starter, reached for the spare fully charged battery I always have, still in the garage from the Altamaha trip last week. Brought the boat home and decided to give it a bath and get everything greased. Got about half way finished and then came the rain. Oh well, I'm sure the Roundhill will show me a better time tomorrow.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Alrighty.. we always enjoy it!:wink:

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Matt
    Im sure you will enjoy your day on the water with Roundhill even if you dont catch any fish.And if you dont catch any fish with him.....then its a safe bet that they just wasnt biting.......that man can catch em in a empty bath tub !!!

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Well, it seemed like the same trend continued on the lake, the bite wasn't very good and all the fish were small. We caught 6 fish, biggest was working on 10 lbs. Marked fish all day around 30-35 ft, just weren't eating. Capt Ron was a pleasure to be out with. We had B.S to talk about the whole time we were out there. Of course I picked his brain pretty hard about fishing things, he answered every question with a great attitude. So, a slow bite and an extremely hot afternoon, We still had a good time and learned alot. I feel that those are qualities of a great guide so I will strongly recommend Ron for anyone who wants a guide on Santee-Cooper and I will be going again.

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Matt, being a guide is a tuff job. A lot of folks start out being one but only a few last. The only reason i quit at the time is because of things that changed in my life causing me not to be able and ge my lic. renewed. May go back and take the test now.
    Capt Ron is a good guide and fishes hard, but every good fisherman knows that no one can make the fish bite.
    I went out with Joe Drose once and caught 6 small fish, i'm talking about small with 2lbs being the largest. He even took us in 6hrs, probably 2 hrs early. It was one of the best trips i have ever taken. I got 10 yrs worth of tricks of the trade in that 6hrs. If you are serious about fishn and want to know about the lake you want to fish. Hire a Guide and use that time to learn.
    There was a guide on Santee that i use to talk to every time i seen him. Capt Lamar Piety (sp of his last name probably wrong) He really helped me learn the on fishn for Flatheads. Capt Ron probably knows him. I think he has stopped guiding now, his wife had to go through some operations and he couldn't fish like he needed to. Guides also use each other. Capt Daryll Smith from out of Rock Hill called me once asking how i was catching my fish at 601. He had heard i was on a roll and he had a trip and needed info. He in return has helped me many times showing me how to fish the shallows

9. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Absolutely, I totally agree. If you really want to learn about fishing that water for that type of fish, it doesn't matter if you catch a single fish. I learned alot of things on this trip. I also could imagine being a guide, taking someone out with a tourist mentality. I could see how that could be a pain in the butt. Like you said, no one can make the fish bite, and everyone has bad days, and probably 60-70% of the customers don't really understand that.