Fishing the White River in Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ScottWiseman, Jun 19, 2006.

1. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Friday night we fished the White River in downtown Indianapolis. We launched the boat north of 10th street below the spillway. There is a really nice ramp there that I never knew about...can handle even larger boats. We fished from about 8PM to around 5AM. Caught a couple of nice size channels and at about 1:30 in the morning, my friend Steve landed a brute flathead that tipped the scales at around 25 lbs. That was the big fish of the night and it was caught on bluegill.
    Sunday night we headed to Henderson Ford near Martinsville and fished from about 7PM to 6AM. The fishing started out really slow and it was pouring rain.....but once the rain quit, action started picking up. Thomas caught a nice channel in the 9-10 lb range on a live chub. Robert caught a 23 lb flathead on bluegill and yours truly caught 3 flatheads...but the biggest was only about 8 lbs. They were biting ferociously though which tells me the spawn is just around the corner. Flatheads typically start their spawn at 78 degrees and before the rain last night, the water temps were right around 74 degrees. I will post some pics later. Peace y'all.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Sounds like a cople of good trips, i would like to get down that way and try my luck in the white river

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Glad to hear thier biting. sound like a good time was had even if wet.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Way to go, sounds like a good time.

5. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I would like to hook into a 25 lber. Recently it's been pretty slow.

6. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My partner and I fished just below 16th street dam Saturday night. We were doing pretty good until the monsoon blew in. The wind and lightning must have hit the "OFF" button. After about 11:00 p.m. They just quit. We stayed around until about 1:00 a.m. without another bite. We will be back along the stretch from the dam to Michigan street somewhere Saturday night. If your out and see a big red Dodge Ram with a red camper shell....holler for me adn say hey. Good luck and tight lines

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My nephew and I went to henderson ford ramp tonight caught 21/2 lb channel ad a 6 inch bass. 4 hours 5 bites with 1 hook up. the river was running swift 5oz was enough weight. I got to try my new 10 ft glowstick. It handles snags good:smile2: so it should be good for fish.I would like to fish that section of river out of a boat.As snaggyas it is the fishing toward shore should be real good. well catch ya later.

8. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know this is a few days late, but I was out on the river on Monday at my favorite/secret spot and the fishing was hot, but since I was wade fishing, I had to go when the storm rolled in because getting caught on the opposite bank from where you parked during rising water is no fun, believe me haha. But I was there for about an hour, had one nice slam on a live bluegill casting into swift current and about 5ft of water, but it just didn't get hooked right and popped off. Then just before I had to go with the storm rolling in, I casted one last time with a nightcrawler under a bobber on my ultralight, right when it hit the water a ton of minnows scatter and I see something swurl right at my bobber, then it goes under, fight on. I'm fighting it and at first I'm thinking "If this is a smallmouth it's the biggest damn smallie I've ever hooked into". Got it up about 6ft from me and got a nice look at him, it was about an 8-9lb channel, as soon as i reached down to grab him, he broke my 8lb test. My guess was I casted right on top of it's nest cause he was not happy to see my bobber/bait in his area.

9. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love to catfish and have done it for years. A lot of times I use minnows and crush them and do good. I hear a lot of talk about using bluegills. When you use them do you use them alive. with or with out a bobber, or do you use them as cut bait ? I am curious and would love to find a bait strictly for large flatheads. Thank you for any help and you assistance.

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey bruce, welcome man. For flatheads use live bluegills about 3" long. Make sure they stay alive. I use them on a slip rig and under a large float.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Diver,welcome Bruce all of the above and what ever else will work. For flats don't generally use a float. I use enough sinker to keep the live gill down.

12. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Bruce, live baitfish like bluegills, chubs, suckers, and drum work well for flatheads. I usually use bluegills that are 3-6" and chubs, suckers, and drum that are 5-9". You almost must use live bait for flatheads, I have yet to catch one on dead baits. But cut bluegills does work well for channels.

13. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the help. I have never used gills for flat heads but with all the reading I have been doing on here about gills, I think its time I try them. When you set your float, do you keep the gills shallow or just off bottom ?I dont know where my brother and I are going to go tomorrow evening but we will be somewhere. We got around 12 dozen softcraws today to use this weekend. So between the craws, shrimp and trying out the gills I hope we have some fun. If your around the river downtown area tomorrow evening adn you see a big red dodge ram.....holler for me. Thanks again for the help. Bruce

14. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I use floats, I generally set them at different depths till I find the one where the fish are at, which is generally half way to the bottom to just off the bottom.

15. shadman

shadman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deerhunter01, Winston, Farmer Ray and I went cat fishing last night between Petersburg and Hazelton. We all set up behind a huge log jam behind a mammoth current where the water went from 25 feet to 8 feet in 20 yards. It started out with a bang as Farmer Ray hooked up with 15 lb Flattie. Before Eric could get the pics taken, I hooked a 4 lb Blue.

The rest of the evening was on and off. I caught an 8 lb flat about 40 yards back of the original setup and ray caught a four lb flat in the same location.

After leaving that area around dark located several fish congregated near the mouth of a creek but did not hook up anything there. We then returned to the area where Eric and Winston setup and Ray caught another four lb. blue.

I believe Eric said he caught a 12 lb blue up river and a channel. Didn't hear of any other details. All fish were caught on bluegill.

16. Perchman

Perchman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How do you keep the floats from moving? Do you hold your rod instead of setting it in a locker?