Fishing the Upper Potomac

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by flathead willie, May 31, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to fish a Great Falls a lot back in the 60's and 70's. On a sunny day, you could stand up on the rock cliffs and watch big catfish swim up the rapids. Does anyone in BOC ever fish there anymore?

2. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been catching channel cat about 10 miles upstream from great falls this month. So I guess they still have catfish there too.

Do you happen to remember what kind of catfish you caught there? I've been trying to find out if the potomac near me has blue's or flatheads in it - but can't seem to find a definate answer!

I went catfishing at greatfalls with my dad about.. 15 years ago and it was pretty killer fishing. But I didn't have a clue about the different kinds of catfish then.

~
    Brian

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know if you saw my post about the DC area but all of what I caught when I was up there were Channels. I know from what I've read lately that there are Blues there too. I don't know about Flatheads but I imagine there are a lot of them. Every other river in the state has them now. As you must know from reading all the posts in here, Flatheads are a whole different ball game.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I used to fish just below Great Falls at River Bend Park(or, it might be right above, I can't recall right now). It was mostly channels. I also used to fish the Maryland side of the river, and always did very well in the same general area.