Fishing the upper Dan River - This is a cool site

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Tlinkous, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Tlinkous

Tlinkous New Member

State:
    virginia
    Can anyone give information on the time to fish the upper Dan near Danville?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Tony, its even better now that you are here!! This site is full of good info and great people, you are going to love it!

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC, from Texas, Tony. I'm sure someone from your area will chime in and help you out. You're right, this is a cool site! Hope you enjoy your stay. Be sure to check out the Library, there's an enormous amount of useful information in there.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. Some one from that area will answer your question.

5. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the B.O.C:smile2::smile2::cool2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Don't know anything about your area but Welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tony welcome to the BOC the best site on the web.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the BOC Tony you will love it hear

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
  10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Tony welcome to the BOC. You will not find a better catfish site anywhere. Full of great people and tons of info they are willing to share.

Tom

11. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Tony, anytime is a good time to fish the Dan. But as far as the super bite, the catfish will be spawning soon. As a rule of thumb, we go by when the Dogwood trees bloom(and I mean the wild Dogwoods that are indigenous to the area, not the ones people plant in their yards), but I would hazzard to guess that some fish will spawn early and of course some later. From April on in to June the catfish and stripers will be in the Dan thick. The Stripers will be a little later than the catfish. Be ready for some rod busting reel screaming action. Tight Lines!!!!

12. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    welcome tony,
    david has the time down pretty good. i used to fish below the steam plant years ago where do you usually fish?

13. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Tony great people here full of information,Now for your question the fish are in the river now as we speak,now how far up they are I dont know yet.I know they are catching them in the sobo area and down toward the lake.I will be fishing there this weekend and be able to give you a better report.
    P.S The portion of the river you are inquiring about is very rocky so be carefull.
    tight lines Chris

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to a great site, Tony! :0a25:

I'm not close enough to Danville to fish there...I haven't even made it to the James River, yet! But if you're ever fishing around the northern Blue Ridge area, let me know!

15. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Joel,how far are you from front royal?I have a uncle that lives there,and visit several times a year.

16. Tlinkous

Tlinkous New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks guys for the useful info.

Screamingreels, rocks won't be a problem for me cause I opted for a mustang instead of a boat lol, so I'll be on the banks. But yeah dude, let me know how your trip goes and be safe yourself.

muzkrat, we fish in Dan Daniel park at the spillway.

jeremiad, yeah I'll definitely give you a holler if I'm up that way.

Thanks again everyone and I'll give ya'll an update as soon as I venture out.

17. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC, Tony, from us down here in SC!

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Front Royal is just up the road a country mile or two. I fish Lake Frederick near White Post between Front Royal and Winchester. I have also fly fished the South Fork Shenandoah. I wouldn't mind kayak fishing catfish in the Shen!

19. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    This place definitely "Rocks". Lots of nice folks here...looks like we just added one more. Tight lines.

20. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Welcome to the BOC. You'll like the info found here. Water temp in the Dan is mid 50's to upper 50's it won't be long now. Teener blues and a few small flatheads are being caught in SOBO. Water clarity isn't bad but when the corp opens the gates current is real strong with all this high water.