Fishing the Seasons - Best Flathead Catfish Tips For the different fishing seasons?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beaneye46, Jan 11, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive only caught my biggest cats in the spring before pre spawn.
    i fish across from a big hole with a lot of structure in it, but where i fish its sandy and shallow, i usually cast into 3-6 feet of water and use live bluegill.
    i river fish that doesn't have any really deep holes, in my area the deepest is 35 feet.
    can anyone give me some tips on the other seasons like where i should fish and type of bait to use.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    after the spawn the big flats will be in or near the deeper holes. fish as deep as you can during the day, the drop offs during the evening (6pm-dusk), and at night they will go shallow but not far from the deep water. during late fall they wont move much out of the deepest holes.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    yep, most people on here will say that the majority of bigger fish are caught pre-spawn. Not to say that you can't catch them any other time though. We catch fish from late march to october most years.

4. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In the hottest part of the year around july and august the oxygen level gets low so I try to find faster moving water where their are more oxygen maybe find some shallow shouls with some deep calm pockets around close. This method has worked very well for me in the past.
    Mike