Fishing the Scioto River in downtown columbus

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Jan 6, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    has anyone fished the scioto in downtown columbus and did well just curious looks very good there for cat fishing

2. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Never really fished for catfish in the downtown area.Ive caught saugeyes and smallmouth there.But id say theres cats there.i usually fish south of scioto downs and float the river.Ive caught some big channels,some flathead,nice saugeyes,white bass and hooked an occasional muskie while casting crankbaits for saugeye and largemouth and smallmouth.Cant wait to float it again this year.If anybodys interested in going let me know.Also got a pontoon boat over at alum creek.Didnt fish much last year was down about 4 months for motor repair.A big hello to everyone in the BOC

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Good to see you posting again Mike, looking forward to fishing with you this coming year

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Hey Mike welcome back to the land of the living LOL. Jan 20th is breakfast gathering in Zanesville you need to make it there

5. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Thanks Tony and Gary for the welcome back and everyone else in the BOC.Well have to wet a line soon.Ive got a couple bags of sucker minnows waiting.could also rustle up some chubs.Ive fished the scioto river for about 15 years or so now and have had some great float trips.I heard not to long ago that the ohio dnr just stocked 4000 sturgeon in the scioto.Maybe in the years to come the river will get cleaner for them.As for the breakfast i think i can make it.Just let me know the time and place.Ive had alot of thing go on in the last couple of years and my big D was final yesterday.So im on the rebound and hoping to fish more often and post more also.

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Mike I have heard there are some flatties around greenlawn dam,personally have not fished it. I fish from franklin/pickaway county line south to wal mart in chillicothe. hope this helps

7. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Thanks Chris Ive mainly targeted channels and saugeyes but this year im going to try for more flathead.Whats the biggest you have heard caught or you caught in your stretch of the river you fish.You ever fish near the power plant or the warm water discharge?

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The biggest i have caught is a 35lb have seen and heard of 50lb plus. there is a bait strore on front st in col. they will have a lot of the pics of big cats out of the scioto near there. i have been to the power plant and the wastewater treatment plant a little farther north:bad_smelly: i think the best fishing is from the island rd bridge south to chilli lots of deep holes from here to there.unless you have a jet though the river is hard to navigate with out getting wet:wink:

9. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Thanks for the post.Where i usually go is from around the 665 bridge to a few bridges south of there.Some shallow areas where i have to get out and pull my jonboat around to get through it.Had a bunch of great memorable trips on the scioto.Maybe some time we can get together and fish it.

10. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    I fish from about waverly to almost the ohio river, so with us three, we pretty much got the Scioto covered from C-Bus down...I have caught several 30-50lb fish around my area and a few nice ones up toward chillicothe when making the trip. I don't see why there wouldn't be big flatheads near c-bus, just find the bends in the river and fish them hard. My best hole is in a bend in the river with cover, no one will fish it because it is only 10ft deep...I have caught many 30+ fish from it....guys around here think it has to be deep deep to hold big fish, I just laugh at them! :)

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree J there are a few sweet spots in chill not to far from the boat ramp. I have also caught a few heavywieghts out off that area. There are good areas holding lots of good fish you just have to locate them, which is half the battle.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Chris, I see we fish the same areas at times.

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Have you ever had anyone throwing BIG rocks off the railroad bridge by wal mart at you?:angry: They only did it once to me.:wink:

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have only fished it from north of columbus, about where 36 crosses down to the dam and it has been a lot of years ago , in the late 70's lol, but we caught some small flats 3-10 lbs, i still want to go back and retry a few deep holes that we found there, and that was from wading! didnt have a boat then and was only in jr high school :wink:

15. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have fished the river down town and caught a few. Below the roll over dam right above the rail road tracks holds some flats and nice channels. I tie off right at the tracks. You can get to the bank there also. If you put in at the greenlawn boat ramp you can get to this area. There is a 22' hole straight across from the boat ramp. It sort of behind the fire training building. You can hook up with big fish there. Yellow bellys do well there.