Fishing the river - weather

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Nov 10, 2008.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The weather forecast for tomorrow the 11th looks pretty crappy, however I am looking to brave the elements and see if I can score either at Cannelton or maybe a bit more local and try the Salt where I will have some tree cover. How well has the fishing been in the past during rainy cold weather with a NNE wind? Is there much of a chance at catching something other than a cold?

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Have to have those hooks in the water to catch something.:wink:
    Good luck to you on your quest.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on your trip brother, keep us posted on the action

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :smile2:good luck and sometimes they go crazy in bad weather,but like the others you won't catch anything if you don't go

5. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been checking the weather hourly hoping for a ray of sunshine and I think it will be a waste of time"waiting for sunshine that is"! I am going to stay local and hit the salt here at west point, so wish me luck. I will let you all know tomorrow afternoon and I may post a few picks to show what misery looks like and why it likes company!!!

6. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    O.k, so we hit the salt river this morning and decided to leave the boat at home. We got to the river about this morning and it was 38 degrees and rainy,the wind was calm so it didn't feel so cold. We headed under the 31w bridge for some cover and tossed out the lines. It took about 15 minutes on cut skipjack and the first 2lb channel was on. We got several bites nothing aggressive and it took about an hour to catch the next one. Then the only thing I can figure is the front passed through completely, because the bite was off..and i mean off!! There was nothing for 3 more hours and we called it quits. It was as if there wasn't a fish around for 100 miles.
    So all in all not a waste of time we saw a little action and stayed warm dry for the most part, got to love carhart! We will be back out at cannelton on sunday the 16th as long as the weather holds up. In the mean time good luck to you all and Fish On!!!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    At least you didn't get skunked. Congrats on getting out.:cool2:
    Been getting good reports around here, hope to get back out soon!:wink: