fishing the river at low falls landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by boedict, May 12, 2009.

1. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Was on the river all weekend just not catchn alot of fish,Anyone else doing any good there.

2. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We were below the convergence of the Congaree and Wateree all weekend. Didn't catch a bunch but did much better than we had the 3 weekends before.

We were camping on a little sandbar across from Trezvants. We didn't get to the campsite until about 7:00pm so the little wifey put a rod off the back of the boat while we were setting up. It took off and she ran down and set the hook. She got him up to the side of the boat before he popped the 50lb flourocarbon leader (really my fault for not getting down to help her fast enough). It looked to be a 40+ pound blue.

It was so foggy and humid with that full moon blasting down through the haze that I just knew it would be a good night. We loaded up in the boat and headed out into the river. We fished hard until about 12:00am with quite a few nice runs but no luck setting the hook. We decided to head back to camp and start supper. That's when the fun started. While I was cooking my the misses was fishing off the back of the beached boat. She had a 35-40 lb flat head hooked before I could even get the hotdogs off the grill. She ended up catching 4 more that night. All were blues betwean 15 and 25lbs. I've got to hand it to her, she's a heck of a fisherman. When I decided to hit the cot about 2:30am she just started netting them for herself.

I don't think she ever even got out of the boat. Of course I do think that was partially due to the 7 foot gator that came up the sand bar for a visit about 3:00am.:smile2:

We really didn't fish much Saturday. I had purchased a bunch of gizzard shad from Santee Friday but they had played out pretty much by Saturday morning. We ran down to Pack's to buy some more but all they had were some little fellows about 2-3 inches long. Apparantly the filter on my keep alive system had gotten poluted because these little rascals didn't even make it back to camp. :embarassed:

We rinsed everything out and started trying to catch some perch. Ended up with a dozen or so which put us back in business for Saturday night. We were pretty sun drained and tired so we decided to just drive down some PVC pipe and fish from the bank. The old lady was pretty much whipped from not sleeping since Friday morning so it was my turn to man the rods. Over the course of the night I caught 3 more nice blues and a smaller channel. I know I missed a few more because I could hear the baitclicks running but didn't drag myself out of the sack fast enough to get to them. :wink:

All in all it was just a great time and as far as the fishing, we had plenty of action to keep it interesting.

Every fish was caught from camp which made for a pretty comfy trip too.:big_smile:

By the way, we're gonna be frying'em up somewhere along the Congaree next Saturday night (5/25). We'll be camping somewhere above 601 the whole weekend. Ya'll are all welcome to stop by. I'll even try to include you on the grub list if you let me know you're coming.:wink:

3. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for the info and the invite,I should be down there somewhere I put in at low falls and go to the river take a right and camp 2 bends on the right. Where will you be from there? :big_smile:

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We'll put in at Bates Bridge Landing (Hwy 601 bridge) and head up stream. We have a favorite sand bar where we like to camp Memorial Day weekends. It's usually big enough for a crowd, has a pretty steep drop off for beaching boats, an is near the Devil's Elbow which is far enough up stream that you can avoid most of the jet ski and recreational boating traffic during the weekend. What concerns me is that the water levels are holding a little higher this spring so I'm not sure if it's going to work. Last year I think we had 12 tents pitched so it takes a pretty good sized sandbar to hold us. I don't expect nearly that many this year but with the water levels like they've been we still may have to choose a different spot. Worst case scenario, we may end up on the big sandbar below the Ft. Motte tressell. Either way I'd say you'd be looking at betwean 16 and 22 miles by water. It takes me a good 30-45 minutes to make the trip to Low Falls from where we camp running about 30mph.I'll probably get out for a while this weekend but if not I'll definately be heading out one evening mid-week next week to scout it all out.

5. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sounds good.I live in Swansea so be better for me to put in where you are puttn in.I dont know much about that area but would like to learn it.I got a 15.5 scout boat plenty of water for this boat?:cool2:

6. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man yea! I have a 20' Smokercraft Modified V with a 115 on the back. I typically have it loaded to the hilt with several coolers; livewell; 30gal of fuel; a labrador or two; and 3 or 4 people. The only trouble I've ever had was if the water was too high and the parking lot was flooded. You really do need to spend some time running the river in the daylight though. No matter what the water levels are like, the bends in this stretch of river are more agressive and the fallen timber is more pronounced. There's always room to move but you have to kind of commit any obstacles to memory before you try running it at night.

I like this area because the river is narrower and more winding and the banks are higher. It kind of feels more jungle. The changes in bottom contour or more dramatic and to me that makes it easier to pin point fish. I think the lake guys might catch more fish when they are on but the scenery on the river and being that close to the swamp creatures just makes it more interesting. There's nothing better than riding along at night spotting the banks for coons, deer, gators and the like. I can set down in some of those holes and listen to the fish crashing and the owls calling all sumer long.

Drop me a line when you want to head out and I'll meet you on the water.

7. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Ok sounds good Im going to try to get that way this weekend. Ill let ya know.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Lawrence, I was on the river today from Santee State Park up to Congaree and Wateree rivers. Lots of debris floating downstream right now, most of which appears to be coming from the Wateree. Keep an eye out.
    Also saw this one swimming the river; Canebrake about 4-1/2 to 5' long. Looked downright mean! I postponed my pit stop at that sandbar...

Attached Files:

9. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks a ton!!! Over the weekend it wasn't just coming from the Wateree. That's one of the biggest reasons to stay off the river when the water is on the rise. It will come up several feet over night in the upper parts. This cuts the log jams loose. The area you're talking about is the slowest to change and doesn't usually change as much but the debris is already floating. I've seen whole log jams break free and stretch the width of the river. You almost dodge them like you're running a slalom course.

As far that rattler, he's a beaut. Good eatin'. I've seen several swimming across the river over the years. Lot's of folks think they don't swim but if they get caught in the swamp when the river's on the rise I can promise you they won't drown. Funny thing is I've actually seen more rattlers in the river than water moccasins. Lots of folks mistake the bigger water snakes for moccasins but cottonmouths don't particularly like running water.

Sometime we need to catch up on the water and shoot the breeze a little.