Fishing the River at Alton, IL

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by jeremydouin, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just moved down here from the Springfield area to go to school at SIU Edwardsville. I live here in Glen Carbon and I'm lookin to chase some blues down here while I'm at school. I fished lake sangchris and lake springfield alot and have caught some nice fish out of both lakes.

I went over to Alton lock and dam the other day armed with my cast net and cat rods. Caught 3 big cutter shad and a 16" skipjack in the net. Unfortunately, there were snaggers everywhere and I didn't have much action on the cat rods. I moved down to where wood river creek dumps in the mississippi but had the same result.

I was wondering if anyone could show me around the area and give me a little info on location for the blues and what not. I'm 20 years old, dont drink or smoke, and respectable to everyone. I'd love to get out in a boat on the river, but left my boat at home due to nowhere to store it down here.

SO....if anyone could help me out at all, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Jeremy

2. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to BOC! the snaggers will be down there until may 18 or 19 i believe. I dont fish the river as much as I used to but I do go to several little lakes around the area. If you ever wanna just get out and hit a lake let me know Ill go with you. I live right outside of Edwardsville

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome to the BOC, Jeremy. I use to fish below Alton and a lot of the time right there at the entrance to Wood River Creek. Haven't been up there for several years. Found better ramps a lot closer to where I live.
    Might I suggest you scroll down the main forum page to the section called "tournaments". In the is a subsection titled Gateway Cats Club. We are a group of St Louis area folks who get together both online here and on the water. While we do read other sections of the BOC, most of us do the vast majority of our posting there. One of our members, RiverRat was fishing not far from where you were, the other night and caught a 90+ pound monster!!! You can read about it in our section. Thread title is "WooHoo, I finally done it!" or something like that. Read up on the threads in there and make a few posts. If you like what you see, we would be happy for you to join us. Many of our members fish the area you mentioned and several members including our club president, do not own boats.:smile2: We try to find ways to get you out on the water in that case.

4. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    you need a place to park your boat give me a hollar, i live in godfrey just pm me. i have plenty of room

5. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright man, thanks for the offer. I need to do a little welding on the trailer so i feel safer making the trip, but I may take ya up on that offer sometime.