Fishing the riprap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Lenape4, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    Catfishing on riprap. Cats should start spawing here in NE Oklahoma in a few weeks, if the rain ever quits and it warms up. How does everyone like to fish riprap? I have done okay in the past with crawdads on a float. Have not fished the rocks in quite a few years though and would like to try something different.

2. Minnows or small shad under a float. What's exciting is you can catch wipers, whites or cats.... but if you catch a cat hold on. Seems like when they come up on the rocks they are ready for a fight!!!!

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I sometimes slow troll rip rap with a drop shot rig that barely skims over the tops of the rip rap. I use either large shiners, crawdads, or cut bait. Actually, thi rig is good for a variety of fish but I mainly catch cats.

4. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    I am going to be fishing from the bank and into the wind. I am not for sure how far out the rocks go, but may try to fish the bottom if I can cast out past them. Maye one pole on bottom and the other on top and see which one works the best.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try a Slip Bobber Rig with live shad or bream.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish rip rap a good bit with a carolina rig. Using cut bait or fresh shrimp. The best spots in my oppinion are the shallow areas right up against it. I anchor and cast withen 2 or 3 feet of it. If you're on the bank I'd cast parrallel to the shore line, keeping the bait shallow.

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I prefer to fish rip rap with a slip cork rig. Usually about 2 feet deep using punch bait or cut shad. They will typically be right up next to the rocks. If you're not getting bit then move down a little. Don't cast past the rocks. The cats will be there feeding on shad, shad eggs, crawfish and carp eggs. Sometimes I'll catch some with green algae coming out of their anus. These are feeding on shad eggs that have been deposited on the algae.