Fishing the Potomac

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dude, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    does anyone fish the potomac? if so whats the best baits to use out there, i always see everyone talking about the james, just wondering about the potomac

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hello dude If you check out the Maryland post We keep everybody up on the Potomac river fishing and the baits we use. When I guide there i use danny's king catfish bait to put alot of cats in the boat. If they are looking for bigger fish Cut bait Herring, shad, Mackerel etc. Where do you fish at on the potomac and how has it been doing for you. My best last years was 52.6 with 5 over 50 lbs and i know some others around the 50 lb class. Its not the james but its good for some very nice size blues and more channels then you would ever dream of catching.
    Check it out I will be having a Catfish tournament at Fort Washington Marina on March 4th. would love to see you guys from V.A come up and enjoy a day of fishing with us. Check out the ACATS site www.catfishangler.com for the Maryland ACATS Chapter tournament trail we will host 8 Tournaments this year

3. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im from culpeper via manassas and we would fish off leesylvania state park, and up in mt vernon from the banks. But i got a boat now so we are trying to get out there and finally cover some water. I only got out there a few times this year. but looking forward to alot of trips there and the james this year.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well If you get up river around the WW bridge, Fox Ferry and you will find some very nice blues around there. if you can get up that way on the 4th we will have weigh-in at 2:30 pm and you will se some big old blues then. And it would be a great time to meet alot of guys that fish around there. They would be happy to get you pointed in the right way. Hope to see you on there water and Keep us up on your trip out there .

5. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I was on the potomac today got a 22 and a couple little ones. I usually fish out of leesylvania should have gone upriver today it is hard to fish in the wind on the lower stretches. Cut shad is the best bait for big fish although they can be hard to find in the winter. The potomac is loaded with catfish for sure.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well its not that they are hard to find just that they do move in the winter. Sunny day you can find them on the flats I have hooked some 30lbs plus on the flats in 4 to 8 feet of water in th winter mouths. The warm sunny days will draw the bait fish up on the flats and the blues will move up with them.

7. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    my uncle lives on the arkendale flats we hang some monsters every year. on the flats or in the winter months anywhere around the channel. the power plant produces lots of nice cats in size and numbers. also any of the light houses theres ALWAYS fish holding on those things. any type of cut bait works great live yellow or white perch. cut shad or herring. i've found that sometimes it does make a difference between fresh and store bought baits. clam snouts are also a great bait.

8. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Channel cats and Blues, plain chicken liver on a treble hook and slip sinker got a ton of eating-sized fish for me...