Fishing the Ohio River in northern kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mlohre, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    anybody have any luck fishing the ohio in northern kentucky? i have been out several time with nothing to show for it.:0a23:

2. sugarfoot47

sugarfoot47 New Member

State:
    ky
    Been fishing below Markland.Didnt do any good the last two trips out.Just a couple small channels.Blues have just shutdown.And have no idea were the flats have been this year.

3. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    Thank you for the information. sounds like it is tough every were this year.:0a23:

4. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    from your neck of the hills in kentucky. we have been fishing the Ohio outting in at big bone and trixies marina. All summer has been very on and off, last wed we hooked a 32 lbs flat about a mile north of bigbone near the power plant fishing the boils. thats the only large cat yet this year. Almost everything we have caught has been on live shad and gills.

netting the creeks before hitting the river has helped , most everything has been in waters 22-30 feet deep.

goodluck

rSVBill:big_smile:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    I don't know about northern KY but I've been doing alright west of you by Rabbit Hash, KY / Rising Sun, IN...W

6. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I dock at Villa Hills just up rive from the anderson ferry and have traveled down to big bone and fished about every thing back to old coney. It seams everytime I go out I will get just one good run and thats it. I like to use cut skipjack and live shad when i can get them. i think i will get some creek chubs for my next trip with cut skipjack. Thanks for the information.:0a23:

7. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    On my own experience in the Ohio near big bone,

when fishing the many holes in teh area we will fish the area for about 30 mins, if no bites then we move around. there are nights we get lots of bites but no real pole benders and nights we stay busy.

it have definatly been a weird year for fishing on my boat

bill

8. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I went out sunday morning and cauth a nice 7 lb but was at one area and all they did was peck at the bait. looking forward to some night fishing when this turnament starts this week end.:0a23:

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    Haven't been out yet this year. Whereabouts in NKY? I've been itching to get the boat out and hit up the mouth of the GMR on the Ohio.

10. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I fish mainly around cincinnati down to 275 westside. i find the other side of cincinnati is to bussy for me.:0a23:

11. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its about time the fish are picking up on the ohio river by cincinncti area lots of blues. the flats are still hard to come by.

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the fishing has definately started to turn on here as of late in the northern kentucky cincy area. the markland pool is definately heating up. I have also noticed that the blues are biting a lot better right now than they have in recent years. it seems like more blues are being caught here than normal. cuz normally you here of more flats. but not this year