Fishing the Nueces River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by jeffnsa, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jeffnsa

jeffnsa New Member

State:
    texas
    i,m going camping on the nueces river next month and i was wondering how the fishing is. i'm taking 2 kids poles (for the kids of corse) to catch perch, 2 light catfish rods, and my fly rod to teach my 7 year old daughter how to fly fish. what would the best baits be for cats on that river.

2. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    iwent fishing about 30 yrs ago that was averry good placetofish then. we went down by Kingsville that is theonley place i caught any fish on CATFISHCAARLIE. couldnot believe that.If ihad the time that woulda place i would like to go.fromwhat you said you were going to usre you may need some tougher rods ithink perch are the usual bait would be good dit is afine place tofish.wish i was goingabut thats tough.thanks sam

3. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Where is campwood and the Nueces canyon? I know the river runs into Mathis lake and then on to the coast. I did not know of any access above that. I located access under the bridge on 624 in McMullen county, but I did not put a boat in as I did not know if that would be legal. I have done very well on mathis lake on the upper end, but its got a lot of stumps. Pat

4. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Catfish Trainer, I found a place on the internet called Chalk Bluff Park and it sounds like its close to Ulvalde. The lady I spoke with said the water was too shallow to run a boat and people just fished from the bank. I think you must have found a different place out there to fish. Can you tell me where to put in or a point of contact number? Thanks, Pat

5. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Catfish trainer, Thanks for the info. I am going to put this place on my list to visit. My goal is to fish new water every time I go and this sounds like its well worth the trip. Thanks again, Catfishjon

6. jeffnsa

jeffnsa New Member

State:
    texas
  7. jeffnsa

jeffnsa New Member

State:
    texas
    my daughter caught 2 cats, site fishing from a 15 ft. cliff, using hot dogs.:roll_eyes:

8. TxfishingMom

TxfishingMom New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been reading your quotes online for campwood fishing, We are going to Campwood sometime in October to go fishing. I've tried to find a place to camp/cabin, or somewhere that you can walk from, but all are saying that either there is no fishin on banks or it is very poor, This is my only trip this year and I would like to beable to catch some catfish, can you give me some Ideals for a good spot, I'm almost a neigbor cause I live in Midland. Thanks for your reply.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Any one ever fish the river around the calallen area?just moved down here and was wondering if any one had any info on this area.gonna be fishing from a kayak for now but bringing my jon boat down soon.