Fishing the northern states during the winter..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by whiteriverbigcats, Mar 7, 2007.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just read an Artical in the March issue of North American Fisherman and it had alot of good info on fishing for Big Channels and Big Blues in the winter.. Had stratagies and baits, times of the day that are best ect... I dont think it missed anything.... I think i might give it a try here in the near future.. I will try and sum it up for those that want to know a little about it.

1. Big Channels;Locate a deep hole in a bend or some other area and, Look for shallows about with a slow moving current either up or down stream 30 to50yrds. (3 to 5ft deep )flooded grass that is protruding out of the water or fallen timber. Place your baits ( if live bait just use fat minnows ) and place your bait right at the edge( elevate the bait with a bobber or ballon float ) of the grass or timber but no futher then 10ft from the bank. Continue these methods till you start getting bites and they should become more consistant and continue this process every 30 mins or so...... good luck..

2.Big Blues: For this you need to find a creek mouth or a good deep cove and set at the mouth of the area and fish the area if it has flooded grasses and again elevate your bait and also fish maybe a depth up to 15ft.. ( Similar to the way to fish for the channels as i mentioned earlier...) Continue also every 30mins or so. and the bites should become more consistant.....

3.The most important part of this is to keep freashly baited hooks and the last couple of hours before the sun goes down are best apt. times.. I havent tried this yet but I plan to.. just thought i would give my new learnings to you members also... Hope it works for me cause i never have tried fishing for cats in the winter.. Hope it works for some of you too......

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i cant wait to try it out when the lake thaws out.

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im going to try it some time at the start of next week

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, I was fishing a lake in Minn in Nov, it was cooolddd, but I couldn't cast far enough out to the water deep enough where the fish were. I'll wait till spring again. It was pretty dry, so I didn't try any rivers, they had about dried up last summer. then it rained, but I figured the fish are heading to deeper places for the winter.

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would say this is the best time of the year to catch nice channels and blues out of the rivers.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for posting thats some gret info

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't wait all summer its to hot for me and then it cools off and is perfect and the bite pics up. This is the best time of the year for me .