Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I grew up baitfishing but gave it up years ago due to work. I'm retired now and live in Malta Ohio on the Muskingum river. The lowhead damn is just down the hill from my house and I've deceided to try to catch some of the cats hiding in there. Any advise on baits, rigs, or holes around the spillway area would be welcome. All I'm catching now are a few small spotted cats and sheephead. So far I've tried nightcrawlers and Gulp livers. No bites at all on the Gulp. I'm not picky, I'll take any kinda cats. Thanks

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Hi, I grew up baitfishing but gave it up years ago due to work. I'm retired now and live in Malta Ohio on the Muskingum river. The lowhead damn is just down the hill from my house and I've deceided to try to catch some of the cats hiding in there. Any advise on baits, rigs, or holes around the spillway area would be welcome. All I'm catching now are a few small spotted cats and sheephead. So far I've tried nightcrawlers and Gulp livers. No bites at all on the Gulp. I'm not picky, I'll take any kinda cats. Thanks
You are on one of the best spots of the Muskingum. 1st thing you need to do is switch baits to fresh live or cut bait. Bass, Bluegill, Drum, Carp, Crappie, Suckers, all make GREAT bait. A simple sinker (3-6 oz) would be fine above a hook (big hooks). Look for deep holes, timber, bends in the river, etc.... Plenty of 3-15lb channels and some huge flatheads in that stretch. Good luck and welcome to the USCA!

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome to the site! What Loanwizard said pretty much sums it up. I'm not familiar with that stretch, but what he said is about all that can be said without someone casting for you. Good Luck with your future trips......look forward to readin about them!

· Registered
30 Posts
Ive fished that stretch my whole life and caught sevral big flats out of there I use a 3 way rig and several kinds of live bait bluegill ,goldfish,chubs suckers,channel cats shad anything a flathead can fit in his mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.