Fishing the Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by perch, Jul 4, 2006.

1. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I have only been on this river 4 times. My brother and I fished all night Saturday and only caught 1 channel and couple gar. We were using cut shad, skip jack and gold fish for bait. We fished the edge of the channel in the middle of the river, off the sand bars, at the end of the wing dykes, and straight banks anywhere from two feet to 20 feet deep. Are the fish still nesting or am I doing something wrong? We where fishing north of Glasgow about 5 miles up to the Dalton ramp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Sounds like you did the right things. You can never really know the answer to your question. It can be hit and miss. Catfish could still be spawning, or they could be full, or the river could be dropping, or you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'd say keep doing what your doing.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with Chris, it sounds like you are on the right track. Some of the most experienced fisherman in this area say that June 1 - July 15 is the toughest time for river blue cats. We should be coming out of it soon.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've had nights like that also. When I start fishing the shallows near the sandbars I usually start hookin' into the gar instead of the catfish that I'm after. They are still kind of fun to catch until you have to get em off the hook. :lol: :crazy:

Just keep fishing the deep spots and you'll fight a big blue.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds to me like you are doing the right things also. I agree, this is a tough time to catch them. Its the tail end of the spawn, and its hit or miss. Dont give up. You will find them soon. As a side note, Gar makes great bait. I tried using Gar as bait for the first time at a tournament in Alton two weeks ago and it was the only thing I caught fish on. They wouldnt touch the shad. Use the gut pocket of the gar, as well, you can make a slice all the way down the gar's belly, and then using your hands you can literally turn the gar inside out. Then simply take your knife and cut the meat away from the back bone. We only caught three fish in that tournament, and all three came on gar. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Good Luck....

6. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I would agree, that you are hitiing all the right spots. I was on the river day and night from thursday thru monday midday. We only caught 8 fish in that timne frame that had any size to them. They are definately slow right now. On a positive note, we did catch almost all blues, two of them went 40 pounds. So they are slowly turning back on.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey, Cuz, how are you finding out about these tournaments? Do you fish many? Just curious... I know that there is a fella that goes by the name of "Dink" that holds a tournament on the last Sunday of each month at the Weldon Spring Access in St. Charles. I've seen several 80 lbers weighed at the weigh-ins. I've been thinkin about entering one, but just haven't done so yet.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like your doing all the right things. Don't feel to bad ,I don't think anyone is really setting the world on fire by catching fish right now. Just do like Tea and some of the others told me last night on here, Don't give up just keep on keepin on and a tryin .Sooner or later they have to come our way.. So just hang in there and keep trying.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    We caught a good bunch on Sunday last week but then on Monday we only caught one..same location, same bait, same presentation...the one we caught Monday was 22 pounds!.. The five pound blue was full of eggs..would have thought she would have already dropped them.. going again tomorrow.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a good fish Dave!!! I'm glad you mentioned the fish still having eggs. I was beginning to think I forgot how to fish bcuz I sure havnt done to well the last two months, with the exception of one day. That explains why they have lock jaw still. Thx.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Bill, I fish alot of tournaments. You can do an internet search and find out about the various tournaments and tournament series. I'll be fishing one out of Henderson, KY August 3-5th, another one out of Louisianna, MO on the 17th, and theres another on the 18th which is out of Hannibal I think. Let me know if you have trouble finding the tournaments, I can send you a link to some sites that have them all listed.

12. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    Thanks for the feedback. I at least know I am on the right track.