fishing the Missouri river

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishlarryiowa, Mar 10, 2008.

1. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HI Neb. & IA fishermen Billy D. & I are going out today about 1 oclock at manawa boat ramps. If any fishermen wan't to meet an see if anything is biteing look us up. Larry.:big_smile:

2. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Is that close to Council Bluff's?

3. catfishlarryiowa

State:
    Iowa
    yes it is in Council Bluff's. but we had to go to Bellvue to put in cause Manawa had to much mud on the ramp.

4. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Bites were pretty slow, the water was 34.5 degrees. Larry landed a nice 8.5 lber.

5. Frydaddy28

Frydaddy28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    good job Larry, we only caught a few babies. pretty windy that day , had a couple real nice bites though ,enough to get me out really soon .Tomorrow!?

6. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey where u guys from am lookin fer some folks to fish with in the des moines area, just got a pair of 309s on 6 n half foot straight sticks, i think thatll pull in a flattie, wanna go sometime gimme a call at 515 244 1348, i live to fish, oh by the way the names eddie

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Eddie and a BIG Ol Welcome to the BOC !!! Glad to have another Hawkeye on board. Larry and Billy D. and Myself are from Council Bluffs Ia. and mostly fish the Missouri River around here. Now if You ever have the Chance to fish with Larry and Billy Don't pass up the Opertinuty You will learn a Whole Bunch. Just last year I had the chance to fish with the Boys What a Blast!!! I Met them at the boat ramp early and I got to load the boat for them,then they let Me catch all the bait and fill there coolers with Beer and Pop which they told Me to bring,Them Boys are Great. Those Guys Know the River like the back of there hands,Now they don't want Anyone to know there secret fishing spots so I had to wear a bag on My head so I coulden't see where We were Going which wasn't to bad but made it sorta hard to drink My pops and Beers.when We got to the Holes they let Me handle the ancors and bait there poles for them and fetch them Beers and fix sandwichs and such. They woulden't let Me hold any rods Cause they wanted to see how I did on the other Chores first.Them Fellas can catch some Fish now let Me tell You.All Fish were released to be caught another day,TRUE Sportsmen in this Mans Book.I Did get to drive the boat back to the ramp cause Larry and Billy were to Drunk to do it and Larry and billy know the Law and Don't drive the boat Drunk.when We got back to the ramp they let me load the boat on the trailer and put the gear away in the truck. now the Boys were sorta hungry after a Hard day of fishin so they let Me take them to supper on the way home,Them Boys can eat some food let Me tell You!!! while We were eating supper Larry said I did Real Good and If I would Mow his grass this year and did a Good Job that Him and Billy Might take Me along with them fishing a Time or Two this year. Well I'm off work today and I better get the mower ready to go cause it's geting warm and the Grass will be needin cut soon.Later J.D.
    :wink:

8. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Hey jd u did real good that day the only reason we didn't let u fish is because we don't like our sandwiches smelling like fish, hee hee. Matter of fact u did so good were going to set your alarm clock one hour later so u can dream alittle longer and u might give me that nice LUND boat of yours before u wake up :smile2:.

9. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I was down at manawa today and the new boat docks look pretty good. I am Getting exicited for a good year on the river.:wink:

10. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey my fellow Big Mo rats...

I went out on Wed. this week and got a few bites, nothing too exciting. Water temp above the Blair nuclear power plant was 39 degrees. I fished below the plant in 45 degree water depth of 19ft on the current side.

My bait was questionable...I bought some frozen chubs from Steinbaugh's in Blair and cut them in half. They were not fresh, kinda stunk. Not my bait of choice for blues.:sad2: I think I would have done better buying a hundred minnows and stringing 4 or 5 on my hook, at least the bait would have been fresh.

Any suggestions on getting fresh bait would be greatly appreciated...this year, I will be freezing gills and greenies. Contemplating buying a hoop net for catching fresh shad this year. Could also use some pointers on where to try netting the bait.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good luck on your trip hope ya catch a bunch

12. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Matthew... I'm from Kentucky and used to fish Rough River and Green River alot. I fished for Crappie , Blues, and Flats. Great fishing in these rivers!

13. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Is it to much to ask for some nice weather. Come hell or low water I'm putting in at manawa or bellvue Sunday afternoon. I can't take it turkey season got me wraped up the following weekend. So it's going to have to be sunday. Anyone been out?

14. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sturgeon are running well...channel cat are getting bigger. Nite Crawlers seem to be the bait of choice right now. So far...no big blues.

15. catfishlarryiowa

State:
    Iowa
    billy d. an I was out Wed. Billy cought a small channel. we both had a couple good bites. we were using cut creek chubs. all in all it was just a good day to get out on the water. Larry

16. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Dont know about the big Mo, but i aint excited about goin out on the big miss this weekend. a lot of rain and a cold front just doesnt turn me on. and the motor is in the shop. I fished last wed evening and didnt get a bite for 25 minutes. in a spot the week before couldnt keep up with 2 poles at a time. i think the great early bite is done. of course not that you cant catch em though.

mr quickset., i dont know about bait over there on the mo, but anywhere there is shallow (3-5ft) mud bottom early or later in the day throughout the summer is where i get my shad. although, about the time you think you got it figured out.....poof gone.

17. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fished the mouth of the Little Sioux late this evening. Lots of small channels up to 2 pounds. They were biting fast...I couldn't keep both poles baited at times. I was fishing with nitecrawlers. I don't have any fresh cut bait...i can only wonder if there might have been larger ones in the area. Bait fish were hitting the top of the water...I'll bet something was chasing them. These catfish were shallow...in about 4 ft of water or less.

I'll bet the catfish are staging at the mouths of the creeks right now, waiting to move upstream. I got to get to Wally world to get me a hoop net.

18. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It reminds me of the quiet around our dinner table with a mess of good food. I wonder if all these MoRiver "Rats" are busy catchin fish...

I finally got a throw net and landed a couple of skip jack this morning...had to work today...so I went tonight from midnight to 2am. Landed a couple of nice channels off the midsections of the cut skippy. A 4 and a 7 pounder.

The channels are definitely moving up the creeks :)

19. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Probably around C.B. somewhere. had problems finding bait last sunday maybe if it's nice out I can get something. water temp last sunday was 42 burr might be another week or two ?

20. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Here's a pic of a 10lb channel I caught today....I also caught a couple in the 4 pound range...I was by myself...so please excuse the pic.

Attached Files: