fishing the missouri in colder weather

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by payton350, Nov 10, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anybody around the Council Bluffs area have any good luck in the missouri when it gets colder. I have been going down to the mouth of mosquito creek right by the power plant, I haven't caught one but have had some good runs on the clicker using cut gills and chubs but they are not aggresive at all. This is the first time I have went fishing this late in the year and I can tell things sure do change, I don't know what I could do differently but hopefully I can get one in one of these days.

2. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    my fishing partner Billy D. & I fished early this spring with some success.the water temp. was around 42-46 degrees. havent been out latey cause of work & now im sick. hope to get out there soon.

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i would probably fish the deepest holes you can find... insteed of fishing off the tip of a wing dike i would fish towards the wing dike... i seen alot of people doing this set up at or last tournament in october and seen some nice fish caught...

4. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is probally a dumb question, but what is a wing dike?

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    no question is a dumb question:wink: it is a pile of rocks that extend out in the river on the opisite side of the shipping channel that keeps the channel clean so it don't silt in... 9 times out of 10 there will be a hole just below it.. trail dikes are long ones thats where the channel changes over to the other side of the river

6. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I see, I know what your talking about, Thanks a ton man.