fishing the Mississippi???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Hurricane, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    We have been fishing the Mississippi between Arnold and Festus for the past month with very very little success, anyone have any pointers for me? We've been fishing the wing dikes, flats, deep holes, main channel, Missouri and Illinois side with no luck anywhere. Typically we have been using gold fish and worms for bait. Any help would be apprecaited.

Chris

2. craigfsh1

craigfsh1 New Member

State:
    mo
    friends went to rush island yesterday. they only had two fish one about 20pounds. we went to chester ill. sun with no luck. fishing is slow. cut shad works good in deep holes.

3. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Yeah I've heard it has been slow with water down now but we put in some major hours over the last month or so and have caught about 4 catfish between 3 guys. We've got to being doing something wrong.

4. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Try behind wing dikes with fresh cut shad.Just let out line 'til your rig settles on bottom.I do have one question,though.Were are you putting in at?I live in Arnold and can't find a ramp,with the water being so low.I usually fish out of Flamm City.

5. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I'll have to try switch baits I guess, do you normally catch the shad out of the river? How much wieght do you typically use on the Mississippi? A friend of mine keeps his boat down at Hoppies Marina in Kimswick, he has a slip for $94 a month. They will launch your boat there but they charge you like $20. Normally when the water is up we launch at Flamm City too.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Hey thanks bluejay. Just trying to learn more about catfishing, especially on the rivers. I've had some success in lakes but fishing these rivers is all new to me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I've been fishing this stretch of river my whole life, and I can tell you this time of year the fishing always gets tough. First thing I would do though is quit using goldfish and night crawlers, not that it won't work, but fish are picky. This time of year I only use cut asian carp, mooneye, or shad. Hope this helps. Just remember one thing. Where there isn't much bait, there won't be very many catfish. Just something to keep in mind.:wink:

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Yes,I usually catch my bait in a cast net in the creeks around Arnold.AS far as weight goes,try anywhere from 4 to 8 oz.I've also started using 7/0 Gamakatsu hooks.My best fish came from an area near Kimmswick,by the way.If you get a chance,check out Gateway Cats on this site.We all live pretty much in the area,and threr's some great info there.Thanks for the info about Hoppie's,I might have to rent a slip,myself.

10. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Thanks Grumper, I keep hearing about the asian carp and cut shad. I'll give them a try this weekend.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    $94 a month? Dang, I'll take the Platin Rock boat club price any day. No place to store your boat there, but the best ramp I have seen anywhere, bar none!!
    I too use Flamm City ramp when the water level allows it, however, I fish upstream toward the JB bridge rather than down. (My motor is 23 years old and I have met Float Trip Willie)
    When fishing out of Flamm City, I usually get my shad from the Meramec where creeks run into it.
    Shad or Asians are all I use, unless I get lucky in the spring an find some skipjack.

12. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I've typically been using about 6oz when fishing but it still doesn't seem like enough when the current gets going. I also recently heard that the catfish are more suspended this time of year due to lower oxygen levels in the deeper water, is this true?

13. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Lakes stratifiy this time of year.Because of the current,rivers,especally big ones,always have good levels of dissolved oxygen.If you're fishing in really heavy current,you may have to go as high as 12oz.weights.I rarely use this much,but alot of guys do.A massive cat won't care,anyway.Try to find a break or deep hole in current.

14. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    12oz??? I better get a stiffer rod for that. Thanks for information.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    16 oz and 20 oz are needed many times, depends on where you are fishing.

I would suggest you buy some sinker molds (Do-It Molds are good quality and inexpensive) and scrounge up your own lead or you will spend a small fortune in lost sinkers. The molds pay for themselves very quickly and sinkers are easy to make.

Get yourself a decent cast net also to get fresh bait. Shad are pretty hard to keep alive in the summer so keep a bait cooler and throw them on ice as soon as they go belly up in the bait tank, they'll stay fresher than when floating in water.

Also many of us use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle hooks. get some sturdy rod-holders attached to your boat ( 1/2" Driftmasters are the best) and learn to leave your rod alone and let the fish load the rod and hook themselves. If they are biting lightly for some reason you might then switch to Kahle hooks. Mostly though Blue Cats don't mess around and hit pretty hard.

16. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I've been using the Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus hooks and a similar 8/0 I picked up last time I was at Bass Pro. My friend has been making his own wieghts up to about 16 oz, I guess I'll need to look into getting a stiffer rod to handle that much. Anything over 6oz makes my rod start bend over pretty good.

17. 314moe12

314moe12 New Member

State:
    missouri
    hoppies is a good ramp cost to put in 20$

18. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanks.I guess I'll be using them in the near future.I just hate paying for something I usually do for free.

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    $20 per launch is piracy!!!:crazy:

Plattin Rock's dues are $40 per year after your one time fee of $200, well worth it!

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    :0a27::0a27::0a27: