FISHING THE METROPOLITAN MUD HOLE

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    DREW AND I WENT TO BUCKEYE LAKE YESTERDAY, YEEHA. THAT IS NO PLACE FOR A COUPLE HILLJACKS. FIGHTING TO KEEP MY BOAT HULL OUT OF THE MUD IN THAT PUDDLE WHILE TRYING TO NAVIGATE AROUND TWO THOUSAND BOATERS LEFT MY NERVES FRAZZLED. FIRST WE FORGOT THE CAMERA AND PHONE, MOMMA WASN'T HAPPY WITH NO LEASH. CAMERA DIDN'T MATTER BECAUSE THAT PLACE HAS MORE DINKS PER SQUARE MILE THAN A FISH HATCHERY. MANAGED TO HOOK 34 FISH 35 COUNTING THE STRIPPED BASS 37 IF YOU COUNT THE TWO MUDCATS. THE MUDCATS WERE ROUGHLY THE SAME SIZE AS MOST OF THE CHANNELS. NO FISH FOR US VS THEM. THE BIGGEST FISH WAS EIGHT POUNDS UNFORTUNATLY IT WAS THE STRIPPED BASS. THE BIGGEST CAT WAS 5 POUNDS 2 OUNCES. FOUR IN THE FOUR POUND RANGE, HALF THE OTHERS WEIGHED LESS THAN A POUND. THERE ARE NOT MANY GOOD SHAD IN BUCKEYE, THANK YOU BY THE WAY. DREW PROBABLY WON'T FORGET TO TURN THE TRUCK LIGHTS OFF NEXT TIME WE HOPE. NEVER WILL I GO TO THIS LAKE TO FISH FOR FUN BECAUSE IT IS WAY TO BUSY. THE SPANISH ARMADA HAD NOTHING ON BUCKEYE LAKE.ALL FISH WERE CAUGHT DRIFTING WITH CIRCLES AND CUT SHAD WHICH WAS NOT CHANGED ENOUGH DO TO IT'S SCARCITY. MORE FISH COULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT WITH GOOD BAIT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT BIGGER. THERE HAVE TO BE SOME BUT THE FISHING PRESSURE COMPARED TO THE AREAS I'M USED TO FISHING IS INTENSE!!

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i have been there myself in the late 80s early 90s,sounds like nothing has changed, sorry i should have warned you, i think theres gona be a tourny there soon, i hope they do good,hate to see them waste there time

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How did the shore line look Willie there is normally a few thousand out there also LOL. Ya the pressure that lake gets is pretty bad but for squeelers you cant go wrong. There are bigguns there from what Ive been told I have never seen anything bigger than 5lbs tho.

4. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I THINK I WILL BE THERE, WHICH IS WHY I WENT YESTERDAY. I HOPE I DO GOOD.

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I GUESS WE MUST HAVE CAUGHT THE BIGGEST ONE IN THE LAKE. WISH YOU COULD HAVE COME, WE DID HAVE A LOT OF FUN. I'LL BE GLAD TO GET IN PAINT CREEK FOR CATFISH WEDNESDAY THOUGH. CAN YOU FISH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I probably will not be able to get out on a weekday till the week of Thanksgiving I plan on taking that off. Other than that I hope to get out this weekend

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Willie, head over to Buckeye off the north end during January and Feb. for the walleye bite, and don't forget about the ice-off crappies in the spring:smile2::wink:... There is some good fish in there though... rollo

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Ohio HillJack, You and Drew are killing the Channel catfish this year!!! I sure bet mama is happy with some good fish to eat. I had never really heard of any "good" stories from Buckeye Lake so yours is by far the best. Great luck in the event and especially during catfish Wednesday!!

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Your report doesn't sound too promising for our tournament. Maybe the pleasure boats will be wiinding things down by then.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jeff, I hope the tournament turns out well. I think there are a couple of Hilljacks trying to crash in on you guys:wink:

11. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    IF YOU FREEZE OUT THOSE OTHER BOATERS IT WOULD BE O K . I HAVE NEVER FISHED FOR ANYTHING WITHOUT WHISKERS THOUGH.

12. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    LOOKING AT THE EXTENDED FORECAST I THINK THEY WILL HAVE TO BE PRETTY HARDCORE TO BE PLAYING IN THE WATER. I'D SAY BETTER BRING A JACKET.

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I can sure understand how ya feel fishing there. Went to Buckeye awhile back an all we caught was 64 small channels between two of us. An I mean small 1 to 1an a half pounders.