Fishing The markland..

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Ky_Katter91, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Hey guys sorry if this is a dumb question, but I figured I'd go ahead and ask it. What side of the Markland Dam should I fish? The side where the water runs TO it, or the side that has the water coming THROUGH the dam?
    I usually fish a spot about a half mile to a mile upstream of the dam, at a nice little pull off by the police department. Theres some shelters and a boat ramp/ and dock there, where as i usually fish off the dock.
    There isn't a lot of cover in this area, but the current is relatively slow, which I figure the big flatheads would like compared to the swift waters around the actual dam itself.
    There is another spot that I have fished before with no luck, its over by the Sugar Creek boat ramp, under the bridge on 27. Where the creek feeds into the mighty ohio. There is a lot of structure right around the mouth of the creek, both visible along the banks and under the water by the bridge. The area around the mouth of the creek isn't too deep I'd say anywhere from 8-15 ft deep and it appears to be a pretty sharp drop off into the main body of the river where it's reeeeeaalllly deep. This is a few; 3-5 miles upstream of the markland dam.
    So I guess the question is this-
    Should I focus more on the area around the creek mouth? The area around the police department? Or... fish as close to the dam as possible? And if the dam which side?
    Sorry if I seem a little out of place asking these questions but I have everything in place to pull out one of these monster flatties. And I know they're in the Ohio. I don't however, know which area would present myself with the best chance at landing one of these beasts.
    Thanks a lot guys for any advice, and if anyone has fished any of these places and would care to offer some first hand insight I would be reallllllly greatful.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Had you ever tried the mouth of the cumberland river ?

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Hey Lance, I've heard good things about it. But I'm about 2 hours or so from Cumberland. I'm in the Northern Kentucky area.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Katter, as a general rule I have always fished the downstream side of the dam (where the water flows out). There are a bunch of reasons, but mainly because that is where most of the fish are due to an abundance of bait also it's a large obstruction on a river where fish will congregate due to the fact they can go no further upstream. I think I will be fishing Markland either thurs or friday depending on work. Good luck

5. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks Bill I really appreciate it. I'll probably be out there Saturday night using some small (10"-13") channels and big (hand sized to a pound) gills for bait.. hopin that big hawg will be hungry. :cool2:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I got my dams mixed up ooops !:embarassed:

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Pounder bluegills???!!! If I had access to pound sized gills they would be going into my freezer! definately not for catfish consumption.:smile2: If you can, try and catch some skipjacks using small white twister tail grubs, 2 per line and use them for bait........

8. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I'll try that. But theres a little farm pond out by my place that has some massive gills. Catch a lot of them between 7"-9" long. And down the road from it; is another pond where its just completely overstocked with channel cats. Probably about the same size. And most of the ones we catch are around 11-12" long.

9. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Oh. And should I be fishing as close to the dam as I can access or down stream a little ways? Thanks.

10. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Is the Kentucky side even accessible to fish on the downstream side of the dam???

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Go to Switzerland Indiana, there is a little park on the indiana side of the dam, you can fish there. I dont know whats biting or if anything is biting but good luck.

Bill

12. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks Bill. I'll check into that. Theres a particular spot in the Markland Pool itself that I really like, perfect holding area for flats, just gotta keep my patience up for it. I figure I'll keep looking for spots and fish each one as often as I can. Sooner or later I'm bound to at least set the hook into something huge that'll make a big run for cover.. Can't wait!

13. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Well didn't get to go Friday or last night, but I'll be out there on the river somewhere tonight (on the bank), hopefully I can get lucky.