Fishing the James River on Sat 20th

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bryan8552, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    My two sons and I were thinking of fishing the James on Saturday somewhere near Hopewell. I was wondering if the water was low enough and clear enough to warrant towing our boat from Raleigh NC for a day of fishing? My sons are 7 and 11.

We would appreciate any help you can offer.

2. mcal762

mcal762 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not for sure how the WX is going to be but if you go might be a good idea to bring some extra warm cloths. Based off some of the other post looks like it could be a desent day.
    Good Luck,
    Mcla

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I think the James will be fishable, prolly windy though. Give it a try.

Wheelmobile07

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    MCAL and WHEELMOBILE,

Thanks for the response. I saw on the weather report that it's supposed to be windy and the biggest thing I wanted to hear was that it's fishable. With all the rain we've had around here lately for all I knew it was real high and muddy. We're off and headed that direction as soon as we can get our stuff together. Never have been there before so this is going to be more of a scouting excursion than anything else, but if we find a good looking hole and my boys ain't too cold we're going to wet a hook for sure. Thanks again for the replies !!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    River could be OK as far as current but watch out for the wind. I have turned around on more than one occasion when I see standing waves at the cut through at presquille and in the bay around hopewell. Folks swamp their boats every year on the James. Unbelievable the way that water can build up in minutes. With the wind forecast today and water temps at 50 degrees, I would not consider going out with kids. I fish a 18 foot jon boat. Be careful if you go.