Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put out of Dutch Gap on Saturday morning..things started off poorly when some guy in a tire truck backed into my motor in the parking lot... he was not looking where he was going and just kept backing up.. Thank God I had just moved from behind the boat or I would be leg-less now... he cracked some metal off of the lower unit..the boat still ran but a bit worried about it. I took pictures and got him and other witnesses on video admitting his fault. I took his info and will contact my insurance company on Monday.

About the fishing.... went down to db and soaked the net for 8 minutes and had a dozen nice cutters.... the wind was blowing hard so we tried to fish out of the wind. Not much luck until I called Kenneth on my cell.. He recommended fishing the north shore of the river..I thought about that but it was not sheltered from the wind at all..but we gave it a try. 10 minutes later we landed a 45 pounder.. We continued to have bites on the north side of the river but did not land anything substantial. Here is a pic of the fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Congrats on the catch on a super windy day....Kenneth knows a few tricks that's for sure....hope he's around the next time I soak my net....hope all works out on the boat motor!!

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
We launched out of Hopewell. Caught our bait near Turkey Island (had a rough time with the cast net) about the time we caught the bait the wind started getting real bad .I hate fishing in the wind ! Seemed to be gusting around 40-50 mph.Decided it was way to rough out on the James for my boat....Gun show was nice LOL .I seen HS and CE man those guides are dedicated.I will be out there on Tuesday.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mike thanks for replying on the line thread....we had plans of coming down this weekend but after the wind predictions decided to wait til next weekend.....It looked so pretty outside and I kept thinking man I should have went....then when you get in that wind...sure glad I kept it parked inthe driveway...lol...Don't you know money talks....not sure what it would take for a guide to cancel.....from what I've seen you make the date...you better be there..kinda like the mail...lol

Jerry

We launched out of Hopewell. Caught our bait near Turkey Island (had a rough time with the cast net) about the time we caught the bait the wind started getting real bad .I hate fishing in the wind ! Seemed to be gusting around 40-50 mph.Decided it was way to rough out on the James for my boat....Gun show was nice LOL .I seen HS and CE man those guides are dedicated.I will be out there on Tuesday.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know it was hard to get that one fish, but that is why they call it fishing and not catching... Hope the weather is better next weekend.....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice fish. The wind can be a bear. If it's a warm south wind it will blow the warm water to the north bank. Shad like warm water so they follow that water to the north bank. Ole piggy bluecat follows the groceries.

Now that I gave you the tip so it makes me a smart guy!! I went Sat late to get bait at deep bottom after my brother got here We fished from 4:30 to dark after getting a nice mess of shad out the net. Nothing!!!. That's OK, we will wear them out Sunday. On the river at first light. Chilly but calm. Tried all my favorite spots from Presquille to Interstate 295. Caught a herd of little ones 1-4 pounds on the little rods but not a single bite on the big poles. So basically,besides a bunch of dinks, my boat had the stinky striped one on board. Will try again Sat.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nice fish Powhatan!

I used that same line of thinking with the fish in my avatar. The south shore was shaded and the sun was shining on the north shore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.