Fishing the James River 3/1

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Powhatan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Put out of Dutch Gap on Saturday morning..things started off poorly when some guy in a tire truck backed into my motor in the parking lot... he was not looking where he was going and just kept backing up.. Thank God I had just moved from behind the boat or I would be leg-less now... he cracked some metal off of the lower unit..the boat still ran but a bit worried about it. I took pictures and got him and other witnesses on video admitting his fault. I took his info and will contact my insurance company on Monday.

About the fishing.... went down to db and soaked the net for 8 minutes and had a dozen nice cutters.... the wind was blowing hard so we tried to fish out of the wind. Not much luck until I called Kenneth on my cell.. He recommended fishing the north shore of the river..I thought about that but it was not sheltered from the wind at all..but we gave it a try. 10 minutes later we landed a 45 pounder.. We continued to have bites on the north side of the river but did not land anything substantial. Here is a pic of the fish.

Attached Files:

2. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Man--that is a nice fish. Great job:smile2:

3. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Congrats on the catch on a super windy day....Kenneth knows a few tricks that's for sure....hope he's around the next time I soak my net....hope all works out on the boat motor!!

Jerry

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    nice fish. Now its time for a new motor.

5. Team StrayKatz

Team StrayKatz New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We launched out of Hopewell. Caught our bait near Turkey Island (had a rough time with the cast net) about the time we caught the bait the wind started getting real bad .I hate fishing in the wind ! Seemed to be gusting around 40-50 mph.Decided it was way to rough out on the James for my boat....Gun show was nice LOL .I seen HS and CE man those guides are dedicated.I will be out there on Tuesday.

6. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice fish beleive me I know about fishing in that wind after that week I spent there with wind about every day.

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Mike thanks for replying on the line thread....we had plans of coming down this weekend but after the wind predictions decided to wait til next weekend.....It looked so pretty outside and I kept thinking man I should have went....then when you get in that wind...sure glad I kept it parked inthe driveway...lol...Don't you know money talks....not sure what it would take for a guide to cancel.....from what I've seen you make the date...you better be there..kinda like the mail...lol

Jerry

8. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    glad you at least got the 1 nice fish. hoping to hang out with jerry next weekend and dip a line. maybe the weather will be a little better.

9. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I know it was hard to get that one fish, but that is why they call it fishing and not catching... Hope the weather is better next weekend.....

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice blue, good luck with the motor

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish. The wind can be a bear. If it's a warm south wind it will blow the warm water to the north bank. Shad like warm water so they follow that water to the north bank. Ole piggy bluecat follows the groceries.

Now that I gave you the tip so it makes me a smart guy!! I went Sat late to get bait at deep bottom after my brother got here We fished from 4:30 to dark after getting a nice mess of shad out the net. Nothing!!!. That's OK, we will wear them out Sunday. On the river at first light. Chilly but calm. Tried all my favorite spots from Presquille to Interstate 295. Caught a herd of little ones 1-4 pounds on the little rods but not a single bite on the big poles. So basically,besides a bunch of dinks, my boat had the stinky striped one on board. Will try again Sat.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish Powhatan!

I used that same line of thinking with the fish in my avatar. The south shore was shaded and the sun was shining on the north shore.

13. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    sweet fish....looks liek a good day on the james to me