fishing the intracoastal canal

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by joshmorgan, Aug 10, 2009.

1. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    I fished the intracoastal yesterday. I talked to a couple of locals and they all where suggesting i use shrimp. I got out there at about 8:30 and fished till 10, and all i caught where 2 sting rays, 1 eel, and 2 little ole turd hustling blues with the shrimp. I went back at 7:30 and fished with some stew meat I had got and marinated it in Italian dressing and garlic powder. I caught a blue right off that weighted about 10lb and another one a little later on that weighted around 2 lb. I know the stew meat usually does better than this; I am guessing that storm that had just blown through had the fish shut down. What do ya'll usually get ur bigger cats on down in this area?

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Josh welcome to the B.O.C. wish i could help you with your question but i have no idea about your location ,but some from your area will help you out

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Most importantly, where in the Intracoastal did you fish? I catch most everything on cut mullet or 3" shad whole. The salinities in the Intracoastal are different depending on location and at different times of the year.

4. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    My rig is stacked at the bollinger ship yard in larose. I was castin out to the middle. Seem like every time a tug came by I'd get a bite.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    We went into drydock there three weeks ago! Hahaha! Idk about the fishing there, and it seems you're pretty limited so I don't think I can really help ya out. Only thing I could suggest is try to fish under some lights at night, maybe you'll see some redfish, at least that's what it was like when we were at the Bollinger near Sulphur, La. If there are stingrays, the water is probably salty enough to support reds, I would guess.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    And yes, I have a theory that when a barge comes by me in the Intracoastal, the fish turn on right before it passes. I would guess because it stirs the water and baitfish up into a frenzy. I've had 3 reds hit on three poles at the exact same time while fishing the end of a canal when a big barge came by and the current picked up.

7. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have noticed the same thing in the Mississippi River when a ship passes but not to the same degree as in the Intracoastal because of the difference in the volume of water but it does happen.

8. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    There's plenty of redfish. We catch them pretty regular, along with bass, bream, catfish, gar, shad, stringrays, and eels. thanks for the help

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    That's cool, yall catching them under the lights at night? I found at like 1-2am they are the most active.

10. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Try a piece of an eel if you ever catch one. skin with part of the meat. Tough and good bait.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC KajunKat. Where do you normally fish?

12. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Welcome, Kajun, to the boc. A commercial fisherman gave us some eel a few months ago and it worked really good as a bait that day. I froze some and tried it later and did not do very well. I guess that just fishing.

13. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the welcome. I fish mostly in the Mississippi in the Lutcher/Gramercy area near the Memorial Bridge. There is a large sand bar near there that is called "Paulina beach" It is kind of a local hangout. The fishing is okay most of the year. I also fish some in the DesAllemonds area in the canals with jug lines. The kids love this type of fishing

14. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    They are also pretty good to eat. They are on the menu in just about any sushi restaurant (smoked)