Fishing the Indianapolis area of Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by catseeman, Jul 29, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Anyone fishing the Indianapolis area? The board has been so quite lately.
    I figure the bite must be good but haven't read any reports.

2. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Been thinking about hitting the white with my boat.Is it deep enough through there for a sixteen foot bass tracker flat bottom?If so, where is a good spot to launch from?I would be coming from Kokomo.thanks for any help.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't know how good the ramps are in downtown. I do know that there are access points and that people do put boats on the river. It can be tricky but with the rain we have had altely it should be ok for a boat this size. Take it easy and watch your depth finder. Somebody else can give better info, Not many people on lately. I have only bank fished around here.

4. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    There are a couple options for you Jim. The first would be the ramp at Indy Lake (not the pay lake). It is located south of 30th Street on White River Parkway on the east side of the river. There is a relly nice concrete ramp and docks there with ample parking. From there you can go south to just past 16th Street (careful of the spillway) and north you can go all the way to Broad Ripple.....but only if the river is up a bit. If it is low, you wont get as far north. Another place to launch is north of 10th street by the train tressel on the west side of the river. It is a little hidden area just to the north of the train tracks...but we have launched my buddies 18' RiverPro there several times and never had any problems. There is some great catfishing to be had in both spots. We have landed a couple over 20lbs there this year. There is structure and lots of deep holes. You just have to find them and really dog your depthfinder. If you decide to go, stop in at Westside Bait and Tackle. It is at New York and White River Parkway (south of 10th Street). They have all the stuff you need.

5. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for the info.We put in at the Noblesville ramp over the weekend.We caught 3 blues,1flathead and a channel.Ranging from 5 to 20lbs.It was rough getting up river.There were a couple of spots that were two foot and less.Couldnt get my engine to run had to use trolling motor all the way.Made it about three Quarters of a mile up river and then the current got the better of us.Gonna have to take it in and have it looked at.Dont really have the money but cant go without my boat.But all in all it was a good night.So, I would be coming from kokomo, how bad is it pulling a boat through indy?I would think going down meridian street would be a pain in the turdcutters.Thanks again for the info.I really appreciate it.

6. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For me, the best part of downtown Indianapolis is when I'm heading OUT OF downtown Indianapolis. Leonard, if you ever want to get together south of Indy, West Fork White River (Waverly, Martinsville, Gosport, Spencer, Freedom, Worthington, etc.) let me know. I'd be a pleasure to meet and fish with you. Even if you needed a ride, you got it. Only thing is I don't have a boat. Just keep me in mind.

7. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just received an Indiana Game and Fish magazine. There is an article about catfishing around Indianapolis. Not read it yet but they had some areas listed.

8. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    They only mentioned Eagle Creek, Morse, and Geist in that article....nothing about the river at all. Crackr...I agree with you. The only time I fish around Indy is when I am limited on time. I would much rather fish south of town. For some reason, I believe the bigger fish are further south.

Jim: It wouldnt be bad pulling a boat. You could actually take 465 around the westside of Indy to 70...then take 70 east and get off at the West Street exit. Go north on West Street to Michigan Street and head west (it is one way west) until you get to White River Pkwy. Go north and the train tracks will be about a mile up on your right.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Crackr Pm with a phone # I would like to get to gether and fish.

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Crackr i fish the same area as you... but i do fish the 16th st dam off white river parkway... the best bait there is creek chubs.... caught a few over 30# last year... and could barely keep up with two poles.... ever wanna do some fishing give me a shout... I fish alot of central indiana and mainly bank fish.. dont really need a boat cause i can cast a football field..lol

11. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Same goes for me....anyone that wants to bank fish around central Indiana, send me a PM and we can hook up. I work evenings and go alot after work.

12. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello

New to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. Tim in the Indianapolis area.

Scott is a great guy to fish with and I have spent some time learning a lot from him over the last couple of weeks.

Grew catching channels as a kid but now learning to what it takes to go for the bigger cats.

13. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Welcome Tim!! It has been good fishing with you as well!! :big_smile:

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Tim it is good to have you on board.

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Whiteriverbigcat (Shane) and I met up about 7:00pm Friday night to fish the mighty white river in Indianapolis,In . He was all ready at the dam when I arrived. He had caught a few bluegills for bait. So I joined in while waiting for the choice spot to open up . I had a short wait until the Latinos decided to leave. Then we proceeded out on the rock jetty and mounted our attack on the great fish of our quest.It was a race to see who get their lines in the best places. but I being older and slower took the shore side, he took the deeper swift center river . I think he had his first run before i got my rods out . Alas it didn't like the hook in its mouth. After baiting and casting out again we had time for good conversation and long waits between bites. I finally let a 3lb 5oz channel eat a bluegill and reeled him in passing 4 poles without tangling any ( it was a smart channel cat) I rewarded him by a quick release after weighing. It then slowed down to a few half hearted runs but no real takes, The gills were getting chewed but not eaten. We called it a night and loaded everything up at 2: 00 am .
    Thanks Shane for a pleasant evening .

16. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome... Thanks for the conversation... Wonder if the latinos are still out there casting that net?

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, Welcome to the BOC Tim.. you find that almost everyone on here are cool and are willing to answer any and all question you would need answers for.... Hope you injoy being a member....